Author Topic: HTTPS Installation Is Underway  (Read 27123 times)

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
HTTPS Installation Is Underway
« on: July 26, 2019, 15:30:53 »
We have initiated HTTPS Installation this morning.

Intially our HTTPS will cover logins and typed forum input. It will take longer for me to get other aspects of the forum covered by HTTPS because special scripts must be run to convert URLs for photos, themes, smileys, avatars and other associated forum stuff. It is not difficult, but it cannot be done all at the same time. So please stay patient!  8) 8) 8)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
Re: HTTPS Installation Is Underway
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2019, 17:27:53 »
Excellent!

It will be quite a lot of work to change all of the Links but I think that you are making a wise move.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2019, 17:39:24 »
Andrea, thank you for your effort to convert the forum to the secure one!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2019, 17:46:21 »
Ann, there is a script for the URL changes provided by the SMF team. Great work from them on this.

Akira, you are very welcome! We will have login security very soon. The rest will follow.

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2019, 18:41:41 »
Thank You!
Peter

PeterN

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2019, 11:08:01 »
I got this message when I entered Nikongear.net plus https in front:

"This website may be impersonating “Nikongear.net” to steal your personal or financial information. You should go back to the previous page.
Safari warns you when a website has a certificate that is not valid. This may happen if the website is misconfigured or an attacker has compromised your connection"

I did not add /revival to the address.
Peter

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2019, 01:22:25 »
The warning which Peter got from Safari is the kind of thing which will frighten people away from a wb site so it is good that you are getting NikonGear certified.

Unfortunately I had no SMF Team to help me so I had to manually re-code everything on my Site myself and it was quite time-consuming!
I do (sort of!) know how to write a Script but it usually takes several attempts before it works and I didn't try doing that in this case.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2019, 06:02:29 »
Update: The automated installation of the SSL Certificate failed. So we are now initiating a manual installation which requires a certain kind of email validation of the domain name. Birna will be setting up the validation mailbox when she returns from her current trip.

Funny thing is, over on UVP the entire SSL order and installation took literally about 15 minutes. I've no idea why it's different for NG! But we soldier onwards.....

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2019, 08:19:00 »
Andrea, I tried to log in the UVP for the first time after it had been secure, but in vain.  I don't think I forgot my password, but the password recovery procedure failed as well.  :(  Apparently, my registered email address didn't work.

I hope the same thing would not happen to NG...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2019, 11:23:01 »
Simple Machines may be their name but programming at this level is NEVER simple!

Many thanks for the efforts and realisation that the forum needs to upgrade to the HTTPS protocol, I had been considering mentioning it.  Since upgrading to Mojave I have realised operating system security is becoming even tighter.  No doubt eventually all good browsers will reject insecure sites, maybe not even 'see' them.

We upgraded the Nikon DSLR forum to HTTPS some months ago, we were fortunate to have a member who is a retired programmer, we were contemplating moving to different software because of the complexity of the upgrade.  Chris managed to rescript and re-code as required to achieve the HTTPS certification.  This was his comment as work proceeded:

"The Ultra(bb) code is such a tangle it has taken me nearly 2 years to even start to understand it - there is a mix of html in the PHP files, some php is object oriented some isn't, some style is in the css, some is inline, some is even hidden inline in html within php!!!

I always comment the files - even if only to understand what I am doing one minute to the next!!"

Upgrading existing software is rarely straightforward.

I had to update my voting registration recently, I entered the URL carefully into the search box, it took me straight to an insecure site, full of links to unrelated sites, possibly containing booby traps... Repeatedly. (Somehow the www. .com url changed to ww1. .com).  In the end I visited the Town Hall site and used their link which took me to the secure Voting Register pages. No matter how careful you are you have to be alert for the bad boys.  If Safari hadn't flagged the site as insecure I might not have noticed.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2019, 16:41:35 »
I managed to change my own website to https, by enabling Let’s Encrypt‘s certificate, and adding a few lines in the .httpaccess file, maybe I was lucky that my provider supported Let’s Encrypt.
(Hjarbo.dk)

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2019, 18:32:02 »
I also used letsencrypt which my hosting service provides for no additional cost — and that part of making my Site "secure" was quick, easy and straightforward.

What did take me considerable time was manually re-coding all the internal html Links between the different components on my web site (and then re-uploading all of that material back to the hosting Servers!) and my web site is really very straightforward and simple.

NikonGear is far larger and more complex and Seapy's friend Chris gave a very good description of the problems which beset one when upgrading a complex site to a SSC Certified Secure Site so we all should be very grateful to Andrea for putting herself through all of this for us.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #12 on: July 30, 2019, 19:19:11 »
Yes I was lucky, the whole site did work after the small change, didn’t have to make any changes inside.