Author Topic: HTTPS: Please report any issues in this topic.  (Read 112760 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: HTTPS: Please report any issues in this topic.
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2019, 22:02:34 »
Our "sister site" ultravioletphotography.com, which also recently saw a change to HTTPS with Andrea's help etc., displays the Green Padlock as expected. Firefox on Win7 & 10 & Linux.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2019, 22:53:49 »
Our "sister site" ultravioletphotography.com, which also recently saw a change to HTTPS with Andrea's help etc., displays the Green Padlock as expected. Firefox on Win7 & 10 & Linux.

In the UV sister site, a nice green padlock is displayed on the very same Firefox that shows a black padlock with exclamation mark in the orange triangle.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2019, 22:54:17 »

While they may prefer Firefox, Mac users can use Safari or Chrome instead. Then once the FF issue is fixed they can switch back to it. 
Carl

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2019, 23:07:43 »
I don't use Mac.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2019, 23:17:00 »
I don't use Mac.
No, you don't. but some others do, which is why I said that. FF has the same problem on my Mac as it does on PCs, but I don't use FF anyway. so for me it's a non-issue.
Carl

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #95 on: August 11, 2019, 05:05:38 »
I don't normally use Firefox but there is reason not to continue to use it if it is your regular browser because it will still connect you to NG even though you may see the exclamation icon in the address line for the moment.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #96 on: August 11, 2019, 06:54:20 »
I don't normally use Firefox but there is reason not to continue to use it if it is your regular browser because it will still connect you to NG even though you may see the exclamation icon in the address line for the moment.

I agree, but some folks, are nervous about FF, and using other browsers will circumvent the problem until FF is fixed.
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #97 on: August 11, 2019, 08:01:38 »
I use Firefox on my main machine (PC) simply because of its simpler and less pushy user interface.  Even though the black padlock with the exclamation mark persists, I would continue to use it.

Basically I'm reluctant to install more than one kind of software for the same purpose, so I would see if the UI of Edge would become better when it will be based on Chromium.

On my Mac and iPad, which replaced my Mac, Safari is just fine for me.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #98 on: August 11, 2019, 22:01:18 »
If the only complaint by Firefox is "weak encryption", then I think you can feel secure enough to use Firefox until we can find out what might be causing that message. Weak encryption is still encryption!! So transmission between your browser and the server and between the server and your browser is protected.

Luckily I live in a place where security doesn't seem to matter too much: I never lock my car; only lock my house if I am actually going to be away; and have friends in the area who tell me that they don't even know where their house key is!
Ann, are you aware just how easy it is to pinpoint where someone is living in an unlocked house? I would most definitely never never never advertise lack of security on an open forum.

PNG is turned on. Let me know if there are any problems uploading PNGs.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #99 on: August 12, 2019, 17:03:07 »
I'm online now with Site5 to discuss the "weak encryption" problem in Firefox.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #100 on: August 12, 2019, 17:30:16 »
update:  We do have the highest level security protocol TLSv1.2 enabled. However, it is possible that the weaker protocols have not been disabled. Enabliing one does not automatically disable the other.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #101 on: August 12, 2019, 17:41:17 »
Site5 will be working on this. I'll update here when I have any info.  8)

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #102 on: August 12, 2019, 17:50:35 »
Note:  While we are waiting for the disabling of weak protocols.....

As the end user, please make sure you are using a browser version which supports security protocol TLS 1.2. I doubt anyone is still using browsers or mobile platforms which are so out-of-date that they don't support this. But I did want to make a note about it.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #103 on: August 13, 2019, 21:39:19 »
And so we hit a snag.

Our server, Site5, refuses to permit the most secure protocol unless a new hosting plan is purchased. Thus the matter has escalated very much beyond my "pay grade", as they say*. It doesn't all quite make sense to me because we do have some browsers happily performing quite securely.

I will refer everything to Birna and the Crew at this point.

I think you are safe enough entering your passwords under weak encryption. Or set up another browswer for NG temporarily until the matter has been resolved. The safest browser of all is Tor, in case anyone might like to try that.

*Just a little joke about the pay grade. I receive no pay, nor would I want to for those few tasks I perform for NG to help out my friends.

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #104 on: August 14, 2019, 09:04:58 »
,,,,I think you are safe enough entering your passwords under weak encryption,,,,

I believe we are quite safe ;) Thank you!
Erik Lund