Author Topic: HTTPS: Please report any issues in this topic.  (Read 112414 times)

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
Re: HTTPS: Please report any issues in this topic.
« Reply #45 on: August 08, 2019, 16:12:47 »
OK, the Logo has returned. Hurray!!!
The Logo disappeared because the SMF repair script skipped the update for the Logo image url.

THANK YOU ALL for the reports and the examples from different browsers. That is very helpful!

Again, I will monitor this topic for further reports of any problems.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: August 08, 2019, 16:15:50 »
Yes, the logo is back!

The yellow triangle with the exclamation mark persists, though, unfortunately.

No exclamation mark on Safari.
Carl

Anthony

• NG Supporter
« Reply #47 on: August 08, 2019, 16:17:34 »

I have cleared history, which is what I assume you mean by 'clearing cache', terminology varies form system to system... 

You need to go into Safari Preferences>Advanced>Check Show Develop Menu in Menu Bar. 

This gives you a new Develop item in the Safari menu bar.  You need to go into this and click on Empty Caches.
Anthony Macaulay

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #48 on: August 08, 2019, 16:18:41 »
Remember to clear browser caches/history.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #49 on: August 08, 2019, 16:19:54 »
Well, what.the.heck........
I just brought up Safari and got a question mark in place of the Logo.
<giant eye-rolling groan>

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #50 on: August 08, 2019, 16:21:58 »
oh DUH.
Of course I did not remember myself to clear the Safari history/cache.

I'm going to go get my iPad and see how everything looks there.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #51 on: August 08, 2019, 16:23:47 »
I notice on Safari that the yellow fade in the header goes in the opposite direction from the yellow fade as displayed in Firefox.
That's a strange one!

ADDED LATER:  fixed that.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #52 on: August 08, 2019, 19:12:07 »
Logo and Fade are both looking good in Safari now.
I will try Firefox and report back if I see anything amiss.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #53 on: August 09, 2019, 01:06:18 »
I hate to frustrate Andrea (or any other moderators who would be involved with the transition), but the yellow triangle with the exclamation mark persists on my Firefox on Win 10.

I replaced the bookmark with the latest https one and I've just cleared the cache and restarted the computer.

On my iOS Safari, the padlock and the URL are displayed in black, not green.

In some other websites where the padlock is displayed in green on Win 10 Firefox, the padlock and URL are displayed in black on the same iPad Safari.

I don't know what causes the discrepancy...
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #54 on: August 09, 2019, 06:23:44 »
In some other websites where the padlock is displayed in green on Win 10 Firefox, the padlock and URL are displayed in black on the same iPad Safari.

I don't know what causes the discrepancy...

I have spent a few minutes googling and it seems the green padlock on some browsers means the communications between client and host (internet browser user and website) are encrypted.

I also found this page, which is saying there will be a change of emphasis from confirming a 'safe connection' (with a padlock), to stronger warnings about insecure sites, once https websites become the norm, as I hinted in my first post on this subject.

https://www.cnet.com/news/say-good-bye-to-that-green-secure-lock-on-google-chrome/

I haven't actually found anything from Apple to confirm this but my expectation is that Apple will be following a similar path, given their trend towards minimalistic simplicity.  I have yet to see anything other than a black padlock, definitely not yellow or green on my computers.  Except on very rare occasions I only use Safari.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #55 on: August 09, 2019, 07:37:38 »
Andrea, a huge thank you from the rest of the NikonGear team!  :-*  Great work you do usually way in the background ;)

Well done!
Erik Lund

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #56 on: August 09, 2019, 09:31:01 »
Andrea, a huge thank you from the rest of the NikonGear team!  :-*  Great work you do usually way in the background ;)

Well done!
+1 :)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #57 on: August 09, 2019, 14:02:36 »
I have spent a few minutes googling and it seems the green padlock on some browsers means the communications between client and host (internet browser user and website) are encrypted.

I also found this page, which is saying there will be a change of emphasis from confirming a 'safe connection' (with a padlock), to stronger warnings about insecure sites, once https websites become the norm, as I hinted in my first post on this subject.

https://www.cnet.com/news/say-good-bye-to-that-green-secure-lock-on-google-chrome/

I haven't actually found anything from Apple to confirm this but my expectation is that Apple will be following a similar path, given their trend towards minimalistic simplicity.  I have yet to see anything other than a black padlock, definitely not yellow or green on my computers.  Except on very rare occasions I only use Safari.

Robert, thank you for taking time to investigate the issue and sharing the link.  I've never used Chrome yet, but iOS Safari appears to behave according to the policy similar to that of Chrome.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #58 on: August 09, 2019, 15:59:07 »

Eric, thank you. I'm happy that I could help here at Nikongear. And it was good for me to learn more about  HTTPS admin.

"The Green Padlock":  I was using this term generically as is common with admin folk! Apologies for the confusion about what should appear on your browser. The primary thing to look for is that the Padlock should be locked and should not be overlaid with any warning symbol. The color of the padlock might be green, grey, black (or ?). It's possible it could be another colour depending on what browser theme one has chosen. I changed the news notification on the NG header to read "Green/Black/Grey Padlock".  ;D

Akira, what is the status this morning (here in the Eastern US, that is) of your padlock? Is it still showing a warning? If so, then I'll try to track down what the problem is.

Andrea B.

• Technical Adviser
« Reply #59 on: August 09, 2019, 16:13:26 »
If you do happen to see a Padlock warning symbol, then you can help diagnose the problem. The following instruction is for Firefox. I'll try to find the instructions for other browsers and add them later.

Firefox Diagnose a Padlock Warning:
Padlock > Right Arrow > More Information > Media > Address > Look for http.

Click the padlock. On the popup, click the arrow icon on the right. On the next popup, click the More Information bar at the bottom. On the next popup window, click the Media button at the top. On the next popup window there is an Address box at the top. Scroll through that list and look for anything which has an http url rather than the secure https url. Copy/paste it to this topic so that I can look for the offending item.