Author Topic: Recall Alaska governor Dunleavy! - signature gathering event  (Read 7441 times)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Recall Alaska governor Dunleavy! - signature gathering event
« Reply #15 on: August 04, 2019, 12:50:09 »
Thanks for the link Netr, I had not noticed that one. It reflects the panic I have seen among my colleagues, and particularly the first days, although it seems a bit calmer now. It will be another month before we really will know how the situation is going to play out with the restructuring of the university.

Thanks for the kind words Paco, much appreciated.
Øivind Tøien

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #16 on: August 04, 2019, 13:23:05 »
This is a truly deplorable situation.  I feel so sorry for all of those affected and for the loss of the scientific (and other non-scientific) research work that would have otherwise been achieved.

In the long run, this impending knowledge debt will well and truly outbalance the financial debt that these cut backs were designed to address.   So very sad.

More on the University funding cut here:  https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-019-02344-7
Hugh Gunn

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #17 on: August 05, 2019, 11:37:07 »

Thanks for your sympathetic comment, Hugh. We will just see how it plays out and hope our externally funded projects can survive. The president of the university system now has an enormous task in front of him, but he seems to be a sensible person, who is also able to take on these uncomfortable decisions.
Øivind Tøien