Author Topic: Brown Pelican  (Read 2375 times)

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Brown Pelican
« on: August 02, 2019, 02:03:02 »
Nikon D500, 300mm f/4 PF, 1/3200, f/5.6, ISO 1250

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Brown Pelican
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 16:28:01 »
Excellent framing, nice pose, perfectly sharp.

Pity the light was so flat (I presume it was cloudy), but of course you had no control over that.

I find it amazing how these modern cameras can still present beautiful, detailed images at such lofty ISO's which a decade ago weren't even really usable on full-frame cameras.

Well handled Sir!

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 16:38:55 »

Pity the light was so flat (I presume it was cloudy), but of course you had no control over that.

I find it amazing how these modern cameras can still present beautiful, detailed images at such lofty ISO's which a decade ago weren't even really usable on full-frame cameras.

Well handled Sir!

Thank you for your kind comment. Florida summers oscillate between two extremes, brilliant sunshine which permits good exposures at 1/4000 sec., f/5.6 and iso 100, to socked in so heavily it looks like 8 pm at 2 in the afternoon, and not much in between, this was one of the few in between times. Fortunately, only 7 weeks or so to go until fall arrives!

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2019, 11:33:45 »

Well handled Sir!

Your comment on flat light prompted me to do a little reading and I found that there is an adjustment to the whites and blacks one can make to increase the dynamic range of a photograph. I also increased the contrast until the histogram showed it was almost clipping. The settings are now whites +43, blacks -16 and contrast +15 as compared to no adjustments to those sliders before. I think it looks less flat now. Your thoughts?

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2019, 17:58:45 »
Definitely less flat. This has of course increased the noise just a touch. If you shot this in RAW, you could also try warming it a little bit by adjusting the white balance a little bit?

ArthurDent

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 18:45:45 »
It’s a nnef. BY warmer do you mean reduce the color temperature ( more red) or increase it (more blue)?

Peter Connan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2019, 19:16:28 »
Bit more red may help.