Author Topic: Metal Band - First time shooting w/Z6  (Read 2293 times)

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
Metal Band - First time shooting w/Z6
« on: September 21, 2019, 21:07:16 »
A friend's band was coming through town the same day my Z6 arrived, so, after a bit of menu twiddling, I took it out for it's first shooting.  All with Nikkor 105/1.8 Ai-s, at f/2.8 I believe.

Some of my first impressions were expected.  IBIS, Peaking and Zoom are incredible additions to a manual shooter.  I found Peaking extremely helpful, as focusing fast moving subjects in a dark under show lights is often difficult.  Especially since glaring red lights are common which make it difficult to focus in an OVF as it makes white people look like mush.  When I first fiddled with Peaking at home it seemed to "engage" very little, until I switched to Flat picture profile with Sharpening cranked (I shoot raw) which got it going.

As far as being an effective imaging tool, it is certainly an upgrade from the D750, but in terms of control it is certainly a few steps back. There were times where I had to toggle between using the D-pad and the rear Command Dial to do things that feel like it should have all been on the D-pad, for example.  And some of the custom button options are disappointing, like the OK button only being able to Zoom/Reset AF Point.  I want neither of those on OK, so I have a button assigned to useless.  I hadn't noticed the Z6 is missing a Metering button before getting mine, which is a small disappointment.  The Drive/Menu buttons are very awkward as well.  Boy am I spoiled by the D750's Drive wheel.  Overall, worth the upgrades.  I'm guessing some of the control crippling is Nikon's way of ensuring I'll want the Z6 2.0.

Lastly, the inability to see my selected aperture . . . for most shooting situations it's not a big deal.  But in a dark show, downright terrible.  It is a serious shame that Nikon did not design the FTZ to deal with this.  Not a deal breaker, as I shoot shows in manual without changing aperture usually, but it would make responding to an opportunity that requires otherwise very slow as I need to pull out a light to look at my camera.  Looks like getting my lenses chipped is simply not optional any longer.
-Tristin

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Metal Band - First time shooting w/Z6
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2019, 00:15:37 »
Your experience with Z6 aside, you know the style of the music and you know when the critical moment comes, which results in such truly realistic series of images.

If I'm allowed to nit-pick, the images may look too clean and neat.  I may want some (or even excessive ) grain!

I share your feelings with D750.  Now I switched to Fujifilm and am satisfied with the move in general, but I still miss the intuitive UI of D750 (with the record button assigned to ISO).
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Tristin

• NG Member
  • Nothing less, always more.
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2019, 00:18:12 »
If I'm allowed to nit-pick, the images may look too clean and neat.  I may want some (or even excessive ) grain!

ISO 6400 with no noise reduction.  Ah modern tech.  I remember not wanting to exceed 1600 on the 5D . . .or  800 on the D70.
-Tristin

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2019, 00:20:07 »
ISO 6400 with no noise reduction.  Ah modern tech.  I remember not wanting to exceed 1600 on the 5D . . .or  800 on the D70.

When I was using D2H, the choice between ISO 320 and 400 was a tough decision!  :D
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2019, 09:08:13 »
Nice results Tristin and thanks for the insights on the Z6.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2019, 10:06:07 »
Nice results Tristin and thanks for the insights on the Z6.
+1

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2019, 12:40:10 »
+2
I've tried dancers with manual lenses and it wasn't close to your results.
All technicalities aside, the first sht is supercharged. Love the shot