Author Topic: D610 stuck aperture lever work around  (Read 9707 times)

Henry45

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
D610 stuck aperture lever work around
« on: August 03, 2019, 03:49:47 »
The aperture lever on my D610 is stuck in the resting position, and the repair estimate equals the cost of a used replacement
The camera still functions, but it shoots with the lens wide open regardless of the aperture setting.

I am thinking the camera could regain more functionality if I were to cut off or bend its aperture lever. My understanding is that the lens would then stop down to the aperture ring setting, similar to when the lens is not on the camera. The viewfinder would darken, and I'd need to adjust the exposure compensation, but I think it would work. Am I correct? If so, what would be the best way to clear the camera's aperture lever out of the way such that it no longer contacts the lens aperture lever?
Thanks!

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: D610 stuck aperture lever work around
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2019, 04:37:04 »
I agree that eliminating the actuation lever from the body would make any Nikon-F mount lens into a strict manual aperture unit.  Maybe some of the skilled lens modifiers here can suggest the best way to do it.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2019, 04:46:34 »
I'll bet Richard Haw will know more precisely, but I had an old F with a bent aperture lever (caused by lens over-rotating when it lost its limiting screw) and it worked just fine with the bent lever.  There's not much room for it to go and I doubt it can completely clear the lens without going very far.  Looking inside various cameras I don't see much room to bend it out of the way, which leaves cutting or breaking.

As an alternative to cutting it off, though, I would first take the lens off and see if the lever can still be moved with a finger or with the stop down button.  It starts at the top and goes down, in a slot.  If you can move it by hand or still use the button, one alternative might be to try jamming it in the down position.  A piece of plastic that fits tightly might work, or if you're not worried about ever fixing it, maybe hold the lever down and fill the slot with hot glue. Make sure the plastic doesn't stand  high enough to hit the lens's aperture lever.

This cannot work on old mechanical cameras, because the aperture lever is coupled to the mirror, which won't come back down, but I tried holding the lever down on a D3200 and a D7100 and it functioned.  Perhaps the same decoupling that keeps stop down metering from working also changes this.

There used to be another temporary solution to this, for lenses that have an aperture ring.  If you back off the lens a few degrees, the lever stops functioning and the lens becomes fully manual.  That won't work for G lenses, and for any AF lens you have to remount it fully to get electrical contact,  but you can use it as a DOF preview on cameras that lack it, and on newer cameras that don't do stop down metering, you can use it to trick the camera into working with a lens that is automatic but not meter coupled (such as pre-AI T4 mounts or old Vivitars that don't adapt well to AI conversion).  Of course you have to be careful that the lens does not fall out and land on your toes.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2019, 07:37:41 »
Removing the camera aperture lever would make the camera incompatible with all AFS lenses, unless they are the latest "E" generation. Older manual lenses would work at the shooting aperture and there will be messy adjustments to obtain the correct exposure.

The easiest solution is simply bending the camera lever to learn whether it now couples correctly. Stuck lever usually indicates something is jammed to either side of its slot. Take a small nose plier and bend the lever carefully to a sideways mid position.

Henry45

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2019, 16:17:43 »
Thanks for the helpful feedback and suggestions!

The lever won't budge, even when the shutter fires, so unfortunately it cannot be glued in the down position.

As for what it stopping it from moving, it does not appear to be related to the lever being bent out of position (and nothing is visibly blocking its movement...it appears to be something internal that has locked it up).

Backing the lens rotation off of few degrees is an interesting suggestion, but I agree that I would worry about the lens falling off the mount.

The ideal solution still seems to be one of removing the camera's aperture actuation lever or bending it out of position. All of my lenses have aperture rings, so no worries about the lack of compatibility with AFS lenses.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2019, 04:46:12 »
I presume when you say it won't budge even when the shutter fires, you have also tried to move it manually without firing the shutter?

If it is truly stuck, and there's little to lose, have you tried taking something like forceps or needle nose pliers, and yanking it down manually? Maybe force will either free it or break it.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2019, 07:56:29 »

It might be a long shot, but in the past, with different bodies, when I had cases where things locked up in the shutter/aperture lever mechanism, a solution was to manually push the spring loaded mirror all the way up as far as it went. Then there would be a sound, I let the mirror down, and things started working normally again. Might be worth a try.
Øivind Tøien

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #7 on: August 04, 2019, 21:37:06 »
The aperture lever on my D610 is stuck in the resting position, and the repair estimate equals the cost of a used replacement
The camera still functions, but it shoots with the lens wide open regardless of the aperture setting.

I am thinking the camera could regain more functionality if I were to cut off or bend its aperture lever. My understanding is that the lens would then stop down to the aperture ring setting, similar to when the lens is not on the camera. The viewfinder would darken, and I'd need to adjust the exposure compensation, but I think it would work. Am I correct? If so, what would be the best way to clear the camera's aperture lever out of the way such that it no longer contacts the lens aperture lever?
Thanks!

A similar malfunction happened to my D600 after using one MF lens. The aperture lever was stuck and lenses functioned at full aperture. By using hand force I bent it little by little, checking with the DOF preview button if the lever would move, until I finally saw it moved again. Nowadays it does this every 10000 pictures or so, now that I know how to do it I take out the lens, bend carefully, check with DOF preview, and I'm all set for the next 10K photos...

In my case, I push with my thumb the aperture lever so it moves away from the bayonet mount and towards the mirror.

Hope you can fix yours, as usual it is better to try and move the lever in three-four small attempts rather than a single brutal push

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2019, 03:27:33 »
Don't butcher the D610 - save your pennies and get it professionally fixed. 

It is still a reasonably new piece of technology that will serve you well for a number of years yet, so see the repair cost in terms of $/year rather than just the up front amount. 

Good luck.
Hugh Gunn

Henry45

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2019, 06:33:09 »
Thank you for the added suggestions.  Based on the comments, I pressed down on the lever with greater force than I previously felt comfortable doing, and got it to activate. It continued to stick every 3rd or 4th actuation, but after working the lever back and forth about 20 times in a row with my thumb, the camera is now functioning properly. Hopefully, the problem will not continue to recur frequently. Regardless, I really appreciate the help.