Author Topic: 200mm f2E FL ED VR ?  (Read 1342 times)

chambeshi

200mm f2E FL ED VR ?
« on: April 12, 2019, 21:50:50 »
glimpse of it referenced in the recent promotion video with the Z7. Made by Nikon employees using 50 Nikkors, including quite a few classics

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/04/12/nikon-af-s-nikkor-200mm-f-2e-fl-ed-vr-lens.aspx/

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: 200mm f2E FL ED VR ?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2019, 23:57:46 »
I guess the Fluor Version of this lens is long overdue
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Wally

• X-Man breaking bad
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2019, 01:21:58 »
IMHo this is rather a copy/paste typo from the media agency who did the editing. Copy/paste because the other E FL super teles were used in the same movie.
Unless Nikon plans to introduce updates of the 200 and 300 for the Olympics in 2020 I rather expect to see a FL version of the 300mm first, maybe even as Z mount type together with a Z9.
Also, the classic G VRII type of the 300 sells around 3x more often than the already excellent 200
Time will tell  8)
Another Austrian Terminator in California

chambeshi

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2019, 10:15:09 »
Indeed, time will tell. Both the 200 f2 and 300 f2.8 are long overdue for upgrade to E and FL specs: in line with the superexotics. They are both steady sellers and above all superb optics. The 300 being more popular as you say. Pruning the weight will enhance sales and upgrades. There is also the competition from Canon and Sony who each released a lighter 400 f2.8. They may also have similar primes pending in 200 and 300. All this is speculation but logical

This should mean more of the older models coming available :-)

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2019, 13:23:10 »
I don't think it's a typographical error but a deliberate hint that such lenses are in testing with select photographers.

In my opinion the 200/2 and 300/2.8 are both due updates. I find the 70-200/2.8 for example to have more consistent AF than the 200/2 (II), and both the focusing motor and VR system have become more sophisticated in the newer lenses (less jitter and audible noise, more precise) there is also the question of weight reduction and image quality with TCs which tends to improve with the FL designs. The 300/2.8 tripod foot should be made more rigid. Canon's versions of both lenses are significantly lighter and I believe these things affect system choice and via system choice, substantial revenue for the manufacturer. As for mirrorless, I don't think Nikon have the technology to make a top professional sports mirrorless body at the present time and suspect this might not appear for another four years. Also Nikon seems to regard the delay in the EVF substantial enough that it affects the best sports photographers and therefore they are likely to continue to develop DSLRs for these applications, along with appropriate lenses. Notice that Canon recently produced ultra light weight 400/2.8 and 600/4 and they too are DSLR lenses, so the development and competition in this sector continues.