Author Topic: New firmware for D850 (1.10)  (Read 3831 times)

Frode

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
New firmware for D850 (1.10)
« on: May 09, 2019, 09:20:19 »
Changes from 1.03 to 1.10:

• The camera now also supports direct Wi-Fi connections to devices running SnapBridge. For more information, see the “Addendum to the User’s Manual” in which this feature is described. Before using this feature, upgrade to the following version of the app:
- SnapBridge version 2.5.4 or later
• Fixed the following issue:
- The camera sometimes had trouble focusing on subjects in the focus points at the edges of the frame.

https://downloadcenter.nikonimglib.com/en/download/fw/325.html

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
Re: New firmware for D850 (1.10)
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2019, 10:56:28 »
No words on eye detection.

chambeshi

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2019, 13:23:47 »
Thank you for the alert. I had been expecting this later next week, with the Z updates (16 May). I always update firmware, as there are likely to be other fixes / additions that Nikon does not tell us about...

https://nikonrumors.com/2019/05/08/reminder-eye-detection-af-firmware-update-for-nikon-z6-z7-scheduled-to-be-released-on-may-16th.aspx/

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2019, 15:23:15 »
Thanks for the message, the D850 is updated.  ;)

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2019, 21:19:36 »
No words on eye detection.

Fons, there is a firmware upgrade with eye AF promised for next week, it is not for the D850 however. It is for Z6/Z7.

BUT.

There is already face and eye detection in the D850 using the OVF (yes the OVF). Nikon has not documented it it and it is hard to find a lot of information about it.
On the Fredmiranda forum there is information about this, just read the posts by charles.K on the following page:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1520804/

I have been using these settings and they work well for me. Might be interesting for you to try this out.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2019, 06:57:27 »
Thank you Eddie! (my settings were likewise).

Pistnbroke

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2019, 10:24:01 »
I never update software unless I have a positive problem it solves .I don't trust Nikon not to slip in some anti third party function. I remember doing an update and my third party batteries did not work ..No No nikon
Always listen to old people or when they die you live on in ignorance

chambeshi

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2019, 10:56:50 »
I checked my Hahnel ENEL18/18a after update. D850 is as normal

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2019, 12:48:07 »
I never update software unless I have a positive problem it solves .I don't trust Nikon not to slip in some anti third party function. I remember doing an update and my third party batteries did not work ..No No nikon

On the contrary, this update makes it possible to directly use third party software to control the camera and transfer files with wifi, bypassing the Nikon Snapridge software that was previously required to establish a bluetooth connection (and only then, wifi).

I don't use third party batteries. Batteries cost a small fraction of the cost of the camera, I don't see any point in taking the risk there. With lenses it is a bit more complicated and many of us use third party lenses along with Nikon's. Here the solution is that if Nikon adjusts something in the firmware that may cause problems with third party lenses, the third party lens manufacturer issues a firmware update to the lens to solve the issue. Sigma has been doing that. So there should not be a large problem in that area.

Danulon

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2019, 20:31:33 »
Just installed the firmware update. Works like a charm. Didn't try any 3rd party AF lenses, though.

3rd party wifi software (e.g. qDslrDashboard on iOS) works flawlessly as well as the Nikon WMU app. Transfer of raw files takes some time, of course. But now I can download raw files via wifi. Already very helpful in one situation: I was able to edit the raw file on my smartphone.
Guenther Something

mxbianco

• NG Supporter
  • A teddy bear from the Alps, rarely fierce
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2019, 11:16:52 »
Recently, Nikon has published FW updates for the D500, D7500, D5600. Same as the D850, the two main problems addressed are:
  • A fix for the Snapbridge app
  • (more important) a fix for improving the autofocus in marginal areas of the focussing sensor grid

I use compatible batteries and a compatible grip on the D500, with original EN-EL15x batteries and compatible EN-EL18 batteries. Works perfectly after the update. The shutter count in the battery info menu is updated correctly. I assume they haven't slipped any anti-compatible-battery "bugs" even in the D850.

Ciao from Massimo
Since evolution has given us TWO ears and ONE mouth, we are supposed (me included) to be doing more listening than talking.

Per Inge Oestmoen

• NG Member
  • Long Live NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2019, 02:50:22 »
On the contrary, this update makes it possible to directly use third party software to control the camera and transfer files with wifi, bypassing the Nikon Snapridge software that was previously required to establish a bluetooth connection (and only then, wifi).

This really increases the utility of the D850. One had almost given up every hope that Nikon would deliver its next to greatest DSLR (The D5 must be awarded that title of "the greatest") from Snapbridge dependency. Now it has happened, and it is just great!

Per Inge Oestmoen, Norway 
"Noise reduction is just another word for image destruction"

Per Inge Oestmoen