Author Topic: Photo slide converter  (Read 8567 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: Photo slide converter
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2015, 14:08:59 »
Thanks, will do.

This is the slide-collection, luckily all framed in plastic. Apart from the obvious family-things, I am particularly interested in the street life of the seventies. It does include parts of the Netherlands, Scheveningen, Maastricht, Germany and Austria.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2015, 14:13:27 »
Braze yourself and go into battle mode. You probably will find the outcome very valuable at the end, perhaps not so during the battle itself :D Store location details with the files so make the sorting and key wording easier later.

Dedicate a small laptop or obsoleted PC to the scanner, and give it access to a high-capacity disk. Don't forget to run backups on a regular basis.

At the peak of my scanning activity, I had two film scanners 5000/4000ED with slide feeders hooked up to separate Thinkpads, a third Thinkpad for an Epson V750 flatbed scanner (prints and negatives), a stationary PC with SCSI for my trustworthy Agfa flatbed scanner (for prints), and finally, a second stationary box for the Ls8000ED. All machines were networked over Ethernet Gigabit LAN and connected to two NAS units that served as redundant mirrors. I played the stereo at high volume most of the time, read a good number of books, and drank a lot of coffee. Once in a while I did the rounds and reloaded the scanners with fresh material.  Nothing I want to do on a permanent basis of course, but doable and efficient.

jhinkey

• Just Trying To Do My MF Nikkors Justice
  • NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: July 26, 2015, 19:41:43 »
I recommend you do the culling of the slides in two stages. First stage, divide into groups YES, MAYBE, NO. Second stage, browse through the MAYBE and NO groups again. Our perception of visual material is not absolute but relative and depends on the overall context.

Yes, excellent advice - that's what I did with my slides - turns out that about 1/2 did not make the scan category thank goodness.  And since I still have the PB-6/PS-6 setup I can quickly image any of these rejects should I suddenly find that I want to.
PNW Landscapes, My Kids, & Some Climbing

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2015, 16:46:23 »
The hardest part is cleaning the slides.
Seems to be protected as most of them are framed in a kind of glass (or plastic) but a kind of stains got to the original in some cases. Used film is also the Agfa CT-18, but only a small portion, as I can see now. The camera used was a Voigtländer Vitoret, I think.

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2015, 16:56:53 »
Perhaps we can make it a joined effort.  :)
Chris Dees

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2015, 22:24:56 »
Nice Chris,  a lot of work too  ;)