Gear Talk > Other

Photo slide converter

(1/5) > >>

John Geerts:
Has anyone experience with converting old Photo slides to digital images?  I have found some 2.000 photo-slides from the period 1965-1975 in the attic, mostly photo's my dad took. Is a digital scanner the solution? 

Bjørn Rørslett:
Unless your slides are Kodachrome, I'd recommend a scanner. Do make efforts to weed out all irrelevant photos before you embark on the digitising job.

I probably have scanned at least 80.000 slides (and prints) for myself and clients. Setting up a well-organised work flow is paramount.

John Geerts:
Thanks for your helpful advice Bjørn.  I think they'r all shot with Agfa at the time. (there is some work to do) ;)

Bjørn Rørslett:
Well, then they should be eligible for scanning. But don't expect miracles if the film used was Agfa CT-18 ... It had quite poor sharpness and colours might fade badly over time. A dedicated film scanner might be able to restore much of what is lost though, given it has the required hardware (IR channel) and appropriate scanner software is used.

pluton:
The possible alternative to a slide scanner is an old-fashioned slide copying setup using a decent lens mounted on bellows, and a slide holder made for the bellows. 
Advantage over scanning: Usually much faster to cycle through the slides. 
Disadvantage:  Cost of acquiring is close to that for a mid-price(US$250-$350, lens extra) film scanner.  Results vary.  Slides and mono negs work well, color negs are much more bother in post.  Quality of the illumination source matters for color.
Shown without light source:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version