Author Topic: Interesting Look Inside Sigma Lens Factory  (Read 1786 times)

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
Interesting Look Inside Sigma Lens Factory
« on: April 17, 2019, 19:47:54 »
This is an interesting photo tour of the Sigma lens factory in Aizu, Japan.

chambeshi

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
Re: Interesting Look Inside Sigma Lens Factory
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 01:40:34 »
That was really interesting, Woody!  The discussion touched upon several issues I've been thinking about with regard to the implications of the move to mirrorless. 

I should state that at present I'm primarily using F-mount cameras and lenses (supplemented with a μ4/3 system or a Sony A6000 when I want a compact camera).  I expect to expand into the Z system at some point, probably when the second-generation cameras come out.  I'm holding back on buying a few short-focal-length (=retrofocus) F-mount lenses I had in mind because I may eventually be using primarily Z-mount lenses.   I'll always be using some old F-mount lenses - long telephotos, other specialty lenses, or classics.

Part of evaluating the long-term benefits of one system over the other is the question of lens quality.  For the Z system that's partly a matter of what Nikon does and partly a matter of what third-party manufacturers such as Sigma might do if they enter this new market.  The latter consideration is early and speculative, but I don't want to invest thousands of dollars in lenses that then turn out to be significantly surpassed within a short time.

We have some early results from Nikon.  They have definitely taken advantage of the excellent characteristics of the Z mount to gain more optical freedom in their designs.  This is shown by these first lenses having very good to excellent results out to the edges of the frame.

Then the question comes up as to whether Sigma (and other third-party lens manufacturers) might also produce lenses that take advantage of not just the short flange distance but also the wide opening of the Z mount.  However, a related consideration is that third parties might choose to produce optical designs that would fit all full-frame mirrorless mounts, to save on design and manufacturing costs.

That would mean that the most restrictive full-frame mirrorless mount characteristics would constrain these optical designs.  The L and R mounts with their 20mm register distance would provide one major limit and the Sony FE mount with its 43.6 mm throat diameter would provide the other important limit. 

Note that the throat diameter of the FE mount is actually slightly smaller than that of the F mount (44 mm), yet it's located much closer to the sensor.  This would eliminate one major advantage of the Z mount, and I have to wonder if it could actually create a small disadvantage.  At least such lenses could still use non-retrofocus designs which have certain advantages.  Overall, this approach could put third-party mirrorless lenses at a distinct disadvantage relative to native lenses on the Z mount.

Alternately, Sigma and/or others such as Zeiss might choose to produce two sets of optical designs, one for the FE mount, and the other for the Z, R, and L mounts given that the latter mounts offer greater optical design freedom.  For these mounts this would mean a register distance of 20mm, and a throat diameter of  48.8 mm due to the L mount.  This scenario seems unlikely due to the much greater R&D cost.

It looks like the decision by Sony to use the crop-sensor E mount at the basis for their full-frame mirrorless mount may ultimately have effects on  people who don't even use Sony cameras or lenses!

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 02:06:12 »
That´s a very interesting point to consider. So far I have jumped into the Z system primarily for the chance to shot silent -and then found many other strenghs- but I keep to my existing f lenses with the FTZ. So far, so good. I´ll keep looking carefully to the development in lenses and what I might need-use in the future.   

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2019, 22:34:51 »
The different mirrorless camera systems also have different thickness cover-glass over the sensor. This has to be considered as part of the lens design, especially for non telecentric lenses, and could make it difficult for third party lens makers to design generic mirrorless optics which can be adapted to multiple mirrorless systems.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2019, 07:06:36 »
The different mirrorless camera systems also have different thickness cover-glass over the sensor. This has to be considered as part of the lens design, especially for non telecentric lenses, and could make it difficult for third party lens makers to design generic mirrorless optics which can be adapted to multiple mirrorless systems.

But isn't that true for DSLR sensors as well?

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2019, 17:21:18 »
But isn't that true for DSLR sensors as well?
Yes, except---so the story goes---the D/SLR lens sits far away from the sensor, and that distance ameliorates most ray angle-coverglas thickness issues.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA