Images > Nature, Flora, Fauna & Landscapes

Blutkuppe, Namibia

<< < (2/10) > >>

tommiejeep:
Peter, what a great journey you have provided. Love the images.  I will probably not get back to Africa, except for Zanzibar (on my list for 65 years  ;) ) .  Many thanks for sharing your images, more would be appreciated.
Tom

armando_m:
Beautiful series, and I particularly like the night shots

Jacques Pochoy:
Wonderful pictures ! Thanks for sharing  :)

Peter Connan:
Thank you very much Nasos, Akira, Ian, Tom, Armando and Jacques

Nasos, correct, 48 exposures of 30 seconds each. D750 with 15-30mm f2.8 Tamron lens at 15mm, f2.8 and ISO100 (with exposure lifted significantly as it got darker). I feel this is the biggest advantage of "ISO invariance": you don't have to adjust exposure during a process like this, risking disaster if you get it wrong. Keep in mind that there are no gaps, so you can't see the exposure.

There is also a bit of a memory associated with that range of photos (sorry for the waffle): The Blutkuppe are situated inside a national park where no off-road driving is allowed. And the specific tree was situated about 200m from the nearest road. In order not to ruin the shots, I sat in the dark, admiring the stars. However, as the night grew dark, my imagination kicked in. This was a national park, and although a dry area, we had seen some animals (Zebra and Kudu), and where they are present, that most adaptable of predators, the Leopard, often lurks too. And after a while, I actually heard a sound behind me. Like lightning I jumped up, whipped up my torch and switched on the light. About 5 yards behind me was a Bat-eared Fox, a beautiful little animal. Fortunately, although they are foxes, they eat virtually only insects, so it did not pose me a danger, but I promise my heart was racing!
That is why this star trail is only 48 images long. The light did ruin the 49th exposure, and I had lost my courage...

Tom, Zanzibar appears to be a beautiful destination, but do be careful. Africa can cause an obsession.

Peter Connan:
Tom, just for you:

We were very lucky with the weather. Most people would disagree, as rain on a camping holiday is usually not appreciated, but I felt incredibly lucky to see rain in the desert several times.

The first three images are from Etosha National Park. The two images with the Welwitschia plant are from the area North of the Messum Crater. These Welwitschia are a fascinating plant, being one of the plants on earht that get the oldest. The light to the left in the final image is a bolt of lightning far in the diesatnce.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version