Author Topic: D800 battery charger  (Read 2386 times)

Seapy

• NG Member
D800 battery charger
« on: February 18, 2019, 09:59:51 »
With my D800 I received an MH-25 charger.

I am considering additional batteries for longer trips, I have yet to completely discharge the battery using it locally.  I only have one EN-EL15 battery which came with the D800.  The only genuine EN-EL15 battery I can find from mainstream  suppliers is the updated EN-EL15B battery which is supplied for the D850 and Z's.

My question is, will I be able to charge an EN-EL15B battery with an MH-25 charger.  All the specifications I can find say it needs an MH-25a charger.  I don't really want to spend £70 or £140 on batteries to find I also need the newer charger too.

Alternatively is there an aftermarket, non genuine supplier anybody can recommend, I do want something reliable and with maximum genuine capacity.  I am very impressed with my EN-EL15 battery even in cool mildly frosty conditions.  400 exposures and still going while the D3 with freshly charged aftermarket batteries died at ~ 180 exposures.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: D800 battery charger
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 10:34:09 »
You will  be able to charge the EN-EL15B with your MH-25 charger. However, it might not be charged to the fullest capacity.

I do have a surplus of the MH-25a so can bring one extra with me to Scotland in May. It'll be yours for the taking.

Bent Hjarbo

• NG Supporter
  • Hvidovre, Denmark
    • Hjarbos hjemmeside
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 13:51:46 »
After Birnas generos offer, it might not be necessary to tell about the Nitecore UNK1, which charges both D800 and Df batteries from a normal USB charger. It is very small much smaller than Nikons, got the tip about it from either Jakov or Jan Anne. I bought it from England ;)

Jacques Pochoy

• NG Supporter
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2019, 16:37:13 »
After Birnas generos offer, it might not be necessary to tell about the Nitecore UNK1, which charges both D800 and Df batteries from a normal USB charger. It is very small much smaller than Nikons, got the tip about it from either Jakov or Jan Anne. I bought it from England ;)

Interesting ! Seems flat enough for my trips with the iPad and Df. Wonder about the charging time versus the Nikon one ?
“A photograph is a moral decision taken in one eighth of a second. ” ― Salman Rushdie, The Ground Beneath Her Feet.

Asle F

• NG Member
  • Hovet, Norway
    • Fjell og foto, my mountain and photo blog in Norwegian
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2019, 18:26:55 »
It is slower, but it has a display that tell how much it has charged. So if in need, one can stop the charging at 90% and actually know it is 90%, at least if one know the charging curve (it display the voltage, not %).
There is no illusion, it just looks that way.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2019, 20:10:39 »
You will  be able to charge the EN-EL15B with your MH-25 charger. However, it might not be charged to the fullest capacity.

I do have a surplus of the MH-25a so can bring one extra with me to Scotland in May. It'll be yours for the taking.

That is a very kind offer Birna, many thanks.  I think I understand now that the latter charger can push a tiny bit more charge into the newer batteries, which might just help one day.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2019, 20:13:09 »

If it's USB that would be extremely useful, since I have a variety of USB outlets in the car for charging and accessories power.

I will check it out.

Asle, thanks for the photo, very helpful.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2019, 18:44:10 »
The power of the internet!

This morning I received a small parcel, containing an EN-EL15 battery!

Eric, good friend of mine from Kings Lynn, here in the UK read this thread and sent me a surplus battery which he no longer needs, AMAZING!  Thank you Eric.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

chris dees

• NG Supporter
  • Amsterdam
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2019, 19:00:27 »
I have the Nitecore UNK2 and like the name it can handle 2 batteries at the same time (although one after each other).
It works with my EN-EL15A/B batteries and has the same size as the UNK1 model.
Chris Dees

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2019, 19:32:34 »
The power of the internet!

This morning I received a small parcel, containing an EN-EL15 battery!

Eric, good friend of mine from Kings Lynn, here in the UK read this thread and sent me a surplus battery which he no longer needs, AMAZING!  Thank you Eric.

A fine friend, Seapy!  8)
Carl