Gear Talk > Camera Talk

Nikon F4S- Who is using one?

<< < (3/4) > >>

ArthurJS:
I have read a lot that people recommend a "newer" serial number, that Nikon instituted many tweaks over the production run. What is the cutoff number?

Matthew Currie:
According to the "Nikon Compendium" the F4 starts at 2000201, and most if not all hundreds of improvements were done by 2450001.  I don't know how reliable that information is, relying on unspecified "well-informed sources."

I don't know what all the improvements were.  My sad sack is 2199424, and works just fine.  One very visible improvement that it lacks an improved prism release.  The later ones apparently have a two-click release to prevent accidental dropping of the prism. 

I do know that the local camera repairman who sold me the camera considers the F4 to be an unholy pain in the butt to work on, and warned me that if it did break in any substantial way it would almost certainly cost more than it was worth to fix.  Not an issue at the price I paid, but something to consider if you're laying out serious coin.

ArthurJS:
Yes, I read it has over 1800 parts. I have an F, F2, f3, FE2, and FM. So I would not be heartbroken if this one needed work. They are made to be used.

David.L:
I have one: S/no2263108 with both the MB-20 & 21 battery packs along with the  MF-23 Multi-Control Data back. A present from my wife, many years ago.
Still use it, even used the Nikon 35mm f/1.4 G AF-s in Program or Shutter-priority modes.
It has been in desert heat of 50C and -5C at 10,000 feet, still works perfectly.

Mauricio Avila:
I use an F4 with the MB-20 and a type J focusing screen. I had an F4s with the MF-23 and the type P focusing screen, it was stolen a few years ago.

Really enjoy using it with manual focus lenses to street, landscape, and family events.

Enjoy yours!

Mauricio

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version