Author Topic: New Apo Lanthar f2/50mm  (Read 3519 times)

Dr Klaus Schmitt

• NG Member
New Apo Lanthar f2/50mm
« on: November 16, 2019, 15:02:42 »
Announcement (in JP): http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigtlander/e-mount/e-50mmF2/index.html

Samples: http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigtlander/e-mount/e-50mmF2/sample/01.html

MFT:

Impressive, but only in E-mount...

Price in Germany EUR 1099, in Japan
formerly known as kds315

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
Re: New Apo Lanthar f2/50mm
« Reply #1 on: November 16, 2019, 17:40:12 »
English version :
http://www.cosina.co.jp/seihin/voigtlander/english/e-e-mount/e-50mmf2.html

That would be the equivalent of my Zeiss 50/2, if I went to mirrorless. That may happen some day, when my Df dies.
Airy Magnien

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2019, 18:45:26 »
Fantastic MTF, and the lens is impressively small. Shows that lenses don't have to be huge to get good performance.

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2019, 18:53:10 »
Great specs and MTF indeed.  One could expect a version in the Z mouth, I guess?

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2019, 19:08:05 »
Great specs and MTF indeed.  One could expect a version in the Z mouth, I guess?
Sounds great, but who knows... Nikon's share of the market today is less than 5%. Any info on how 50/1.8S compares to this one? THX!   LZ

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2019, 19:38:07 »
Apparently one needs a Sony body for this and some of the other excellent and interesting Voigtlander lenses (e.g. APO 65/2, 10/5.6).

It must be said that full manual focus works better on a Sony A7rIII+ body than on a Nikon Z; there is the (optional!) automatic magnification, and the frame rate of the Sony in magnified mode is much higher than the Nikon's.

The 50/1.8Z is imho an excellent lens, interesting indeed to compare it to this Voigtlander APO 50/2...

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2019, 21:20:41 »
Shows that lenses don't have to be huge to get good performance.

Fully agree with that...
This is why I an going toward a M mount system to fit the Z6. and in addition they share a close register distance.

I just hope these lenses will appear soon in Nikon Z mount and finally recognised by the Z bodies. :)

Francis Devrainne

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2019, 21:28:54 »
Fully agree with that...
This is why I an going toward a M mount system to fit the Z6. and in addition they share a close register distance.

I just hope these lenses will appear soon in Nikon Z mount and finally recognised by the Z bodies. :)

Don’t hold your breath; last year Nikon mentioned that they were not planning to “open” the Z mount for third parties.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2019, 04:54:09 »
Don’t hold your breath; last year Nikon mentioned that they were not planning to “open” the Z mount for third parties.

Nevertheless, third-party lenses are already showing up for Nikon Z.  They're all manual focus at this time, like the new APO Lanthar is.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2019, 10:16:45 »
Nevertheless, third-party lenses are already showing up for Nikon Z.  They're all manual focus at this time, like the new APO Lanthar is.

Yes, but these are all without electrical interface for transferring data like aperture, focal length and focus distance. In Nikon parlance "non-chipped". I think most of them, if not all, are coming from China b.t.w. Now of course focal length can be entered manually, but focus distance cannot.

The e-mount Voigtlanders do automatically transfer this data, which is e.g. needed to let IBIS function properly. And IBIS is of great help during manual focussing in magnified mode.

Eddie Draaisma

• NG Supporter
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2019, 10:44:40 »
B.t.w. there is always the option of mounting this lens on the Nikon Z with help of the Techart TZE-01 e-mount to z-mount adapter. There seem however to be a few issues with it, e.g. with Voigtlanders it does not communicate aperture value correctly.

Mexecutioner

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2019, 21:25:55 »
Sweet lens, I am planning on buying one when it starts shipping along with a Sony body (mosr lilely a used a9 so I can take advatage of the ES 1/32000 sec speed.

I rented a 7R3 and a Voigtlander 40mm 1.2 for 3 weeks and I really enjoyed the combo for traveling light. The focus peaking made focusing the lens wide open, effortless.