Gear Talk > Lens Talk

Manual lenses, how stiff is stiff?

<< < (2/7) > >>

Birna Rørslett:
The focusing helicoids of lenses do "dry out" or clog over time in particular if the lens is just stood on a shelf and not subject to regular use. The lens otherwise might be in pristine shape. Always a risk associated with purchasing second-hand.

Zang:
@Birna, 55 mm is the only one I have had since 2005-ish. All the rest I bought in the last 2 months. 55 mm, although has seen very different "workload" and unused periods, is performing fine. As the all take fine pictures and only the focusing is bothering me, I may try living with them for a while.

Cheers,
Zang

ianwatson:
If the grease dries out then it can act more like a grinding paste :o Do think about having that 24mm serviced; it is a great little lens.

This place has serviced my D3 and a couple of lenses. I am very happy with both the work and the service. English is not their first language but a little patience will see you through. If the technician is not sure what your concern is then he will call you.

http://www.torontocameraservice.com

Jack Dahlgren:

--- Quote from: Zang on January 29, 2019, 19:46:35 ---@Birna, 55 mm is the only one I have had since 2005-ish. All the rest I bought in the last 2 months. 55 mm, although has seen very different "workload" and unused periods, is performing fine. As the all take fine pictures and only the focusing is bothering me, I may try living with them for a while.

Cheers,
Zang

--- End quote ---
Stiff grease sometimes can be mitigated a bit by working back and forth. If you have to force the lens into focus, then you really should re-lubricate it. I had to do that with a micro 105mm which took a strong twist of the wrist.

Zang:
Awesome reference, Ian! I used to walk to that area for food (I love the Japanese restaurant on Atlantic Ave and the Mexican on Jefferson) and I never noticed the camera shop. No worries about English, it is not even my second language LOL. Thanks again!

Cheers,
Zang

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version