Gear Talk > Camera Talk

New Nikon Z7 Comments by Ming Thein

<< < (2/3) > >>

Birna Rørslett:
One also needs to remember there are non-mentioned factors at play for the reviewers. For example, if Ming Thein had not lived in Kuala Lumpur but in a cooler climate, his assertion of the 'fabulous' battery capacity of the Z might not hold true at all. To wit, instead of his reported 1500 shots per charge I get 100-150. Chastising Z7 for not working well with wide-angle Leica lenses is pretty irrelevant and any way the Z's do work well with wide Nikkors even those from the RF era. And so on.

Michael Erlewine:

--- Quote from: Jan Anne on January 12, 2019, 12:32:52 ---I'm just curious what you are looking for in other people opinions on gear you already own, is it conformation that you bought the right equipment?

I do value reviews and such while looking for new gear but once I have it in my hands I know very quickly if a camera or lens is suitable for my specific use, after I determined it will work for me I really don't care what other have to say especially nowadays where some "reviewers" live on reporting bad things instead of focussing on the new possibilities that the latest tech can bring to the table.

--- End quote ---

That's not simple to answer. I value people who are more technical than I am. Of course, I am using the camera to do my own work. I have a list of comments and questions in my comment to Ming Thein, in case he has additional information, pro or con, on points I am still interested in to further clarify my own experience. I do care what certain other photographers have to say both before and after I have the item in my hands. The four photographers I mentioned I do care to hear what they have to say. I also learn a lot form posts by many of us here. My photo needs are very specialized, but I still like to pick up what I can wherever I can and from whomever makes sense to me.

Michael Erlewine:

--- Quote from: Birna Rørslett on January 12, 2019, 12:45:09 ---One also needs to remember there are non-mentioned factors at play for the reviewers. For example, if Ming Thein had not lived in Kuala Lumpur but in a cooler climate, his assertion of the 'fabulous' battery capacity of the Z might not hold true at all. To wit, instead of his reported 1500 shots per charge I get 100-150. Chastising Z7 for not working well with wide-angle Leica lenses is pretty irrelevant and any way the Z's do work well with wide Nikkors even those from the RF era. And so on.

--- End quote ---

Well, you are an expert. I would expect you might say things like that. Some of us not so expert. LOL.

Birna Rørslett:
I do have sent the wish for an Z-Z extension tube through the official Nikon channels ... thus I'm listening as well :D

At the next opportunity I will discuss with my friendly Nikon repair tech  how such an extension can be made from existing parts. It'll be a make-shift arrangement but personally I don't care about nicety and finish as long as something works.

Michael Erlewine:

--- Quote from: Birna Rørslett on January 12, 2019, 12:49:49 ---I do have sent the wish for an Z-Z extension tube through the official Nikon channels ... thus I'm listening as well :D

At the next opportunity I will discuss with my friendly Nikon repair tech  how such an extension can be made from existing parts. It'll be a make-shift arrangement but personally I don't care about nicety and finish as long as something works.

--- End quote ---

I would be very happy to pay you to make me one as well, if it is a very thin one. You know exactly what I am trying to do, whether it is an insult to the lens or not. I don't care about "pretty" either.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version