Author Topic: Opening up a Zuiko 50mm lens?  (Read 4123 times)

Derek of Venango

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Opening up a Zuiko 50mm lens?
« on: February 18, 2019, 19:45:07 »
Good day.

Perhaps directed more toward Richard Haw, but has anyone opened up a Zuiko MC Auto S 50mm f/1.4 lens? I have some ugly bloom on the glass. I believe it's on the nose end outer elements. Don't know which one. Are those accessible from the front of the lens and if so how to gain access?

Derek of Venango

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Opening up a Zuiko 50mm lens?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2019, 19:57:24 »
I jumped the gun a bit as I just now see a YouTube vid on disassembly of exact lens.

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2019, 20:02:37 »
I jumped the gun a bit as I just now see a YouTube vid on disassembly of exact lens.

No matter what the lens, Richard’s site offers good general advice (use the correct screwdrivers etc...) that it is worth taking a look at before you begin.

Derek of Venango

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2019, 01:37:16 »
Hi Jack, yes good stuff from Richard. I have reasonable but limited kit.  :D

So far: Removed front retainer ring and element. Next group is threaded and needs removed via spanner wrench. Ring won't budge. Seems odd as all other threaded ring/elements have moved with make-shift rubber stoppers quite easily. Have applied MEH/Acetone cleaner and heat with no effect. :( Try another dose of MEK. Not sure where to go next.

Derek of Venango

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2019, 01:40:25 »
I'm too impatient I guess; must suffer from instant gratification syndrome.

Just now retried and it broke free ... in the good way!

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2019, 02:56:25 »
Hello. Asher's site might have a guide for that as he plays around with non-nikkors.  :o :o :o

i have no experience with zuiko but i believe that the fundamentals do apply ::)

as for blooming (terrible, beyond-tolerable spherical aberration)...common causes are haze, too many fine scratches, balsam separation.

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2019, 03:50:52 »
By chance I opened-up a Zuilo 50mm (Macro version) only about a week ago to install a Leitax Nikon F plate so that I can use it on my D5. An easy operation.

Fortunately its glass were clean so I didn't need to dig more deeply into the lens.

Derek of Venango

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2019, 04:09:15 »
Thank you Richard.

Ja, I'm late to the Nikon party as I was an OM film guy back in the day. Now in the Nikon legacy glass mode thanks to you guys.

I was trying to be cute with my description of a couple spots of fungi on the concave side of the 3rd element from nose end (7 elements in 6 groups).

And yes Ann, Guess I'd say it is a simple enough lens to work on.

I gave it 5 min in Hydrogen Peroxide as it was glass contact only.  All cleaned up with no visible evidence of any lens etching/damage at all. Reassembled and ready to go. My 1st attempt at stripping down a lens and I would say it was a huge success. Nothing broke, damaged or lost to include a ting spring and ball bearing! However, I don't plan on horning in on your territory or making it a vocation. ;)

Thanks for everyone's help.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2019, 07:15:34 »
Ann, good to see that spring is around the corner for you Northern hemisphere types!

How have you found the 50mm Zuiko 50mm Macro on the Nikon or is it still early days? 

I picked up an example of this lens some time ago in a pile of old photographic gear and have not as yet done the transplant!

TIA.

By chance I opened-up a Zuilo 50mm (Macro version) only about a week ago to install a Leitax Nikon F plate so that I can use it on my D5. An easy operation.

Fortunately its glass were clean so I didn't need to dig more deeply into the lens.
Hugh Gunn

Ann

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • Photographs by Ann Shelbourne
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2019, 05:31:37 »
I have taken a few trial shots with the Zuiko Macro and it still seems to be a very good little lens and Green Dot focussing seems to be accurate on my D5.

I happened to have owned the Zuiko for 30 years or more, and thought it would be worth doing the conversion — especially so that the lens could be used on my PB-4 bellows.

FGAng

• NG Member
  • Mixing the old and the new Nikkors
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 12:25:08 »
Hello. Asher's site might have a guide for that as he plays around with non-nikkors.  :o :o :o

i have no experience with zuiko but i believe that the fundamentals do apply ::)

as for blooming (terrible, beyond-tolerable spherical aberration)...common causes are haze, too many fine scratches, balsam separation.

Thanks Rick for your note.  I have messed around a Zuiko 50mm f/1.8 that unfortunately has sealed plastic optics that are un-serviceable, so I quickly lost interest in that lens and did not pursue further nor write-up the disassembly.

For the TS - my page is here: https://diediemustdive.wordpress.com/ but no Zuiko there...