Gear Talk > Processing & Publication

Hardware processing

(1/5) > >>

John Geerts:
Perhaps it's interesting to see which hardware for post-processing is in use.

Just upgraded from an old desktop still running on Windows XP  to a Windows 7 OS  on a  HP Optiplex with Intel i5 2400 3.1 GHz processor. Including a 250gb SSD drive were the installed programs are running from.  At the moment with 8GB RAM memory, but upgrading is possible (if needed) and using the internal graphical interface although an 'Asus NVIDIA GeForce GT729 2GD silent' is on the wish-list.

The main Monitor is 24 inch EIZO (EV2450).   The RAW-files are loaded into the computer (External Harddrive 2 TB Western Digital) and another drive as backup, via USB-transfer.

Bjørn J:
I built my desktop PC myself, with an ASUS mainboard, Intel i7 3GHz, 32 GB RAM and nVidia GTX560 graphics card. I have an Intel SSD where I have Windows 7 and all the programs. I also have several internal harddrives for storage. I have allocated some of the memory (RAM) to an 8GB RAMdisk where cache and temporary files from Photoshop and other graphics-intensive program are located.
The windows pagefile (virtual memory) is a fixed size (5GB) on a reserved space on a harddrive.
Eizo Colour-Graphics monitor 21" with 4:3 aspect ratio screen.

My laptop is a Lenovo Thinkpad w530 with SSD and a mSATA SSD-card. It is an incredibly robust and speedy machine, and easily upgradable because of the modular design. During a period of two years I purchased three laptops and they were all almost unusable, but with the 530 I finally was satisfied.

pluton:
2012 Retina Macbook Pro i7/2.7GHz/Quad core, 748 SSD, 16GB RAM.  NEC PA271BK-SV monitor.
This computer never leaves the desk, and is a big speed improvement over my previous 2009 Macbook Pro dual core/8GB RAM/2.8GHz unit.
Seven external drives in a rack, running on a Firewire 800 daisy chain.

elsa hoffmann:
2014 Macbookpro something or another.
I work, close it, slap it under my arm, and off I go. Then repeat the process.
I live on my Mac. I cant imagine being a photographer without it.
It just wont work.

HCS:

--- Quote from: John Geerts on July 21, 2015, 12:43:00 ---... At the moment with 8GB RAM memory, but upgrading is possible (if needed) ...

--- End quote ---

I've built many a PC where i prepared to be able to upgrade the RAM. I just never did. By the time i needed more, the tech had advanced so much, i "had to" assemble a new PC.

So now, Mac PRo, intel 6-core, 48GB RAM, OWC SSD with system and applications on it, Eizo 24-inch monitor. Mucho HD for picture storing. NAS for local backup, Crashplan and LiveDrive (actually the Dutch variant LiveSchijf)) for cloud backup (because files physically on 2 continents).

I also have a macbook pro for travelling and general tethered shooting. Not much for processing, although enough power. Screen not good enough (for me). intel duo-core, 16GB RAM, SSD.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version