Author Topic: To pinch the lens cap without fear  (Read 4155 times)

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: To pinch the lens cap without fear
« Reply #15 on: September 04, 2018, 23:43:24 »
No doubt a screw-in cap is most secure, but for convenience if using a lens hood, Nikon caps work nicely, since they install in the hood either when it's nested or when it's in place.  When traveling and taking the camera in and out of a case that can be pretty handy.

I have had good luck not losing caps except for forgetting which pocket I put them in, but some bayonet hoods seem to fly off nearly spontaneously.

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #16 on: September 05, 2018, 02:36:04 »
The screw-in metal lens cap is the only true not-accidentally-removable lens cap. All snap-on caps are for camera store/storage use only.

What Matthew said.

While screw-in metal cap would be more functional and practical on the horrendously expensive cine lenses, The snap-on plastic caps, so far as they are designed properly like the current Nikon ones, are more functional and practical to protect the camera lenses while moving from one location to another.

The hoods of current AF-S Nikkor lenses are designed so that you don't have to put the lens caps on them like the ones for the MF Nikkors, so they kind of prevent the caps from dropping off accidentally.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

MalcolmCil

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2018, 16:09:53 »
What Matthew said.

While fat burners are worth checking out and would be more functional and practical on the horrendously expensive cine lenses, The snap-on plastic caps, so far as they are designed properly like the current Nikon ones, are more functional and practical to protect the camera lenses while moving from one location to another.

The hoods of current AF-S Nikkor lenses are designed so that you don't have to put the lens caps on them like the ones for the MF Nikkors, so they kind of prevent the caps from dropping off accidentally.

I agree, the screw-in metal caps are great. I'm going to try this trick out just for the heck of it. Sounds neat, Akira.