Author Topic: D7500 - Nikon gives and Nikon takes  (Read 40901 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: D7500 - Nikon gives and Nikon takes
« Reply #150 on: July 10, 2018, 19:19:10 »
Ok, thanks. Is the same true for other new bodies? Just wondering.

D5x00 and D3x00 bodies won't meter with non-CPU lenses, and the current D3400 won't meter even with AF, AF-D or AiP lenses with CPU, due to the omission of the tab that detects the aperture ring set to the minimum.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #151 on: July 10, 2018, 22:57:52 »
D500, D850, D5 all meter with Ai(-S) lenses as well as when there is no meter coupling.

Tejpor

• NG Member
    • ETERNIPIX
« Reply #152 on: February 20, 2019, 23:29:14 »
Can somebody tell, if the EFCS works from LiveView?

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #153 on: February 21, 2019, 07:14:02 »
D500, D850, D5 all meter with Ai(-S) lenses as well as when there is no meter coupling.

All three models has aperture coupling tab.  They should be designed to detect the minimum setting of the aperture rings.  D5x00 or D3x00 don't even have the aperture coupling tab.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #154 on: February 21, 2019, 10:44:12 »
Can somebody tell, if the EFCS works from LiveView?

I don't know about the D7500 specifically, but in the D810 EFCS works in the following way in LV: you still have to have the custom function for EFCS set and the drive mode in M-UP mode. You press the shutter release twice, in and out of LV the process is the same. The first button press doesn't apparently do anything but they made it so that the usage is the same ... the second activates the electronic shutter and closes via mechanical shutter. Outside of LV, the first button press opens the mechanical shutter and the second the electronic shutter (where the exposure begins).

In the D850 this is different; you can use EFCS either in Q, Qc or M-UP modes, and in Q, Qc mode you only have to press once (viewfinder or LV mode), and in M-UP mode you have to press twice in viewfinder mode, and once in LV. So now it works more closely as you'd expect, there is only one button press in LV.

I use MC-30A remote cord in conjunction with LV when I need EFCS. In viewfinder photography, I sometimes use Qc to get the benefits of EFCS, e.g., when using the 300 PF hand held. If I don't have the MC-30A packed in the bag for some reason, and if I'm using a tripod, I turn on Qc and exposure delay mode and press the shutter button with my finger. However, Qc uses EFCS only with the D850 (of the Nikon DSLRs), as far as I know.

I don't know whether one or two button presses are required with M-UP in LV mode in the D7500. But for sure you can use EFCS in LV, but you might argue that it's not the most convenient if you don't like to use remote control.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #155 on: February 21, 2019, 18:11:46 »
All three models has aperture coupling tab.  They should be designed to detect the minimum setting of the aperture rings.  D5x00 or D3x00 don't even have the aperture coupling tab.

On the D3200, and I assume others of its ilk, when a manual lens is installed, it returns a "lens not attached" error in all but manual mode, where the meter is entirely switched off.  I believe this is the same on the D7500.

The D7100 (which I think is a pretty typical AI-compatible DSLR) detects the minimum, but not by number, only relatively.  It meters by offset from the minimum, but only the "non-cpu lens" setting, which does not affect the meter, states what that minimum is. 

It will meter correctly with an uncoupled lens only if that lens does not have an auto aperture. 

Tejpor

• NG Member
    • ETERNIPIX
« Reply #156 on: February 21, 2019, 23:14:40 »
I don't know about the D7500 specifically, but in the D810 EFCS works in the following way in LV: you still have to have the custom function for EFCS set and the drive mode in M-UP mode. You press the shutter release twice, in and out of LV the process is the same. The first button press doesn't apparently do anything but they made it so that the usage is the same ... the second activates the electronic shutter and closes via mechanical shutter. Outside of LV, the first button press opens the mechanical shutter and the second the electronic shutter (where the exposure begins).

In the D850 this is different; you can use EFCS either in Q, Qc or M-UP modes, and in Q, Qc mode you only have to press once (viewfinder or LV mode), and in M-UP mode you have to press twice in viewfinder mode, and once in LV. So now it works more closely as you'd expect, there is only one button press in LV.

I use MC-30A remote cord in conjunction with LV when I need EFCS. In viewfinder photography, I sometimes use Qc to get the benefits of EFCS, e.g., when using the 300 PF hand held. If I don't have the MC-30A packed in the bag for some reason, and if I'm using a tripod, I turn on Qc and exposure delay mode and press the shutter button with my finger. However, Qc uses EFCS only with the D850 (of the Nikon DSLRs), as far as I know.

I don't know whether one or two button presses are required with M-UP in LV mode in the D7500. But for sure you can use EFCS in LV, but you might argue that it's not the most convenient if you don't like to use remote control.

Thank you Ilkka! I believe the D7500 is from the same generation as the D500 and D810, so you are likely correct. Did I understand you correctly? One must activate shutter release twice in MUP release (that is ok) but: (1) the mirror hopefully never cycles during LV shooting combined with MUP? (2) is blackout minimal during the shutter release presses in that MUP mode?