Author Topic: Street Photography in the EU  (Read 31316 times)

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
Re: Street Photography in the EU
« Reply #150 on: May 25, 2018, 19:16:50 »
Well stated Ikka.  That's why I await official guidance from my favorite destinations.

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #151 on: May 25, 2018, 19:21:31 »
Indeed, "intentional vagueness" was well put by Ron, and you provided the background reasons.

The streetshooting goes on, although it has never been a totally risk-free business. Your camera could get snatched (did not occur to me), or building owners may start harrassing you (occurred twice, but they had no clue), or a guy photographed in 15m distance with a wide angle will shout at you and call his pals (occurred once - in Tokyo! but the brats were not Japanese), or hoodlums would remind you that you are not supposed to take pictures in their control zone (occurred once).

And Ron, by the way, the fact that you are not a professional photographer does not disqualify you as a photographer ; conversely, it is possible for non-lawyers to express valid opinions about law, at least every now and then. For my part, I carefully studied ten years of French "arrĂȘts de la cour de cassation" (sth. like supreme court rulings) pertaining to photography rights, precisely to know from which direction the wind blows, and it keeps changing. Those rulings are especially called for when either justice was miscarried, or when laws appear not to address new and evolving situations properly.

It helped me undestanding the complexity of the cases, and by the way was an excellent reading : while our politicians have difficulties to assemble two ideas in a tweet, those judges have a great sense for literature, providing long sentences, with accurate vocabulary, exquisite nuances, and a smooth and compelling flow of ideas. This may sound "scholarly" but I like that, perhaps because I got good memories of school.
Airy Magnien

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #152 on: May 25, 2018, 19:35:24 »
Intentional vagueness is an art, but not often seen in a regulatory framework.  Ikka explained it well, national differences.

Sometimes a non lawyer can make valid comments, but I saw several that were dead wrong. 

Airy

• NG Supporter
    • My pics repository
« Reply #153 on: May 26, 2018, 23:02:54 »
Street photography in the EU. Df, 50/2 AI at bellyheight in an escalator, framing and focus are guessed (I'm getting good at that). f/2.8.

;D
Airy Magnien