Author Topic: A story of old and new lenses  (Read 8912 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: A story of old and new lenses
« Reply #60 on: July 18, 2018, 03:14:17 »
Are you able please to explain the difference, as related to photography between circular and 'normal' polarising filters?  I understand circular is a requirement for digital but linear for film, I can't understand why they should be different.

Robert, I'm not Keith (obviously!), but so far as I understand, the linear PL will interfere with the half-mirror.  So, even the film cameras can malfunction with the linear PL, if they use half-mirrors in any part of the light path.  The reflex mirrors of virtually all AF and some TTL SLR film cameras (electric or mechanical) are half-mirrors: they pass the partial light through them to let the sub-mirrors reflex the light through the reflex mirror to guide it to the AF sensor or the metering sensor located at the bottom of the body.

Nikon F3 used a mirror with the pin holes instead of the half-mirror for the same purpose, and its catalog boasted that it can be used with the linear PL without problem.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #61 on: July 18, 2018, 09:16:14 »
Well, a lot seems to be happening since Mongo last posted.

Very big thanks to Armando for posting two fabulous examples that have encouraged Mongo no end.

Also to the number of members who have given us very valuable insight and information into the working of the polariser. Like a lot of you, it has baffled Mongo for some time. The explanations still suggest an element of caution in their use re time, place of sun in sky, width of focal length etc. Mongo would add, probably location/distance from the equator. So, there is something to the varying  results Mongo has been getting over the years to the point he stopped using polarisers on digital. It may warrant a closer look but clearly some study will need to be done beforehand.

Lastly, received the lens today. Absolutely couldn't distinguish it from a new one !! Took several dozen quick images of varying subjects at varying F stops and conditions. Quiet , smooth and decisive AF. Already in the camera’s rear playback screen there was a noticeable jump up in colour saturation, contrast and clarity. Examined images on computer monitor and at 100% crop and could not fault the lens. Did notice some flare in circumstances where the f3.5 would not have flared. One of the biggest shocks was the extreme shallow DOF in images with large aperture settings. A little like Armando’s image of the boobies. This was something Mongo had not been used to with such a wide lens until the 20mm F1.8. This is a good thing and lots of room for creative photography.

Mongo can say he is happy he got the F1.8 (admittedly in unusual but advantageous circumstances) and can use it happily with the F3,5 each for different purpose and character. Still do not see Mongo carrying both around at the one time unless he is specifically going out to photograph just landscapes for the day.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #62 on: July 18, 2018, 11:09:44 »
Sounds like a happy day for Mongo!

It would be good if Mongo could post some images taken with the new lens, perhaps even one with the 3.5 for comparison?

Akira many thanks for the info, this seems to be something of a dark art!  Obviously entirely controlled by physics.  Trying to grasp the complexities is a challenge but I feel I now have a better understanding.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #63 on: July 18, 2018, 12:21:04 »
Sounds like a happy day for Mongo!

It would be good if Mongo could post some images taken with the new lens, perhaps even one with the 3.5 for comparison?

Akira many thanks for the info, this seems to be something of a dark art!  Obviously entirely controlled by physics.  Trying to grasp the complexities is a challenge but I feel I now have a better understanding.

Would love to Seapy but it may be a little while before Mongo can find just enough time to do a short but reasonable comparison and post the results. So, will try to do so but by then, Mongo may have to make it the subject of a new thread in lens talk.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #64 on: July 18, 2018, 15:41:43 »
very good thread with a lot of unexpected chances to learn about neglected aspects of our " black art" shooting pictures with black boxes and black lenses made by Nikon!!!!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/