Author Topic: Nikon 10.5 cm / 105 mm f2.5 questions  (Read 1629 times)

Vegarius

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Nikon 10.5 cm / 105 mm f2.5 questions
« on: March 01, 2020, 21:52:28 »
I've been so lucky to get my hand on an original Nikon AI-conversion kit #40 (http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/aimod.html) which is built for AI-conversion of the chrome-barrelled Nikon 105mm f2.5. I have, however, not yet bought the lens, and have some questions that I wonder if any in this forum would help me with:

1. Would the kit that I've bought (#40) also fit on the Nikon 10.5 cm f2.5 lens? I understand that the optics are pretty much the same in these lenses, and the exterior seem quite similar on the pictures that I've seen.

2. Which of the 10.5 cm f2.5 and the chrome barrelled 105 mm f2.5 would be the best choice? Or should I rather go for a later, Gauss-design 105mm AI or AIS (and sell the AI conversion set)? I'm planning on using the lens for portraiture on a D850. The nine aperture-blades of the 10.5 cm appeals to me, even if there seem to be some users that have problems with these.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on these matters.

Pål Vegar Storeheier

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
Re: Nikon 10.5 cm / 105 mm f2.5 questions
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2020, 22:39:38 »
Nikon AI kit #40 will only fit chrome barrel Nikkor-P 105/2.5 lenses with serial numbers between 234011 - 286451. Earlier lenses have the same optics and general appearance but the internal design of the aperture ring is different and it will not fit.

It will also not fit the later black barrel Nikkor-P 105/2.5 with serial numbers 407301 - 571564.

If you want to convert an early Nikkor-P 105/2.5 with focal length marked 10.5 cm and 9 aperture blades, the best option is to have it converted by Marcel Van Engen - see https://magnimopus.com/services/. The advantage of his conversion is that it preserves the original appearance of the lens so does not degrade its value. I had my 10.5cm converted by him and he did an outstanding job.

Note that 10.5cm lenses with 9 aperture blades are very early - made between 1959 - 1960 and only about 4500 were made before switching to 6 blades. It may be difficult to find one. Such old lenses may also need cleaning and re-lubing. Also note, the first ones made up to serial no 123631 have a "long skirt" aperture ring - the aperture ring overhangs the mount more than later lenses. This extra overhang my need to be trimmed off to provide enough clearance to the camera even when AI converted - they don't even fit the Df.

An easier route is to get an AI 105/2.5 instead. It fits the D850 perfectly without modification. It has the later gauss optics which is a little sharper and performs better at close distances. It focuses closer (1m vs 1.2m) which can be useful. This lens is well suited for portraiture, the sharpness is good and rendering of backgrounds is smooth. It is multicoated so contrast and colours are better than the older Nikkor-P lenses (but some prefer the more muted rendering of the older lens). The AI 105/2.5 has 7 aperture blades which are slightly curved so when stopped down the opening is not a hard straight-edged polygon, the opening is more rounded (but not fully circular). Don't get the AI-S version - the optics are the same as the AI but the aperture blades are straight-edged and the focus throw is shorter - focusing is quicker but less precise.

Roland Vink

• NG Member
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2020, 06:58:09 »
Another option is to get the original Nikkor-P 10.5cm f2.5 lens for Nikon rangefinder camera and mount it on a Z camera. The rangefinder lens has essentially the same optics as the F-mount version, and they have 10 aperture blades, so the opening is nice and round. There are easy to find on eBay, you just need a the Nikon S/Contax rangefinder to Nikon Z adapter (assuming you have a Z6 or Z7) Focus peaking on the Z cameras should make it easy to focus accurately, and IBIS also helps, in many ways they are better suited to manual lenses than DSLRs...

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2020, 11:44:44 »
Another option is to get the original Nikkor-P 10.5cm f2.5 lens for Nikon rangefinder camera and mount it on a Z camera. The rangefinder lens has essentially the same optics as the F-mount version, and they have 10 aperture blades, so the opening is nice and round. There are easy to find on eBay, you just need a the Nikon S/Contax rangefinder to Nikon Z adapter (assuming you have a Z6 or Z7) Focus peaking on the Z cameras should make it easy to focus accurately, and IBIS also helps, in many ways they are better suited to manual lenses than DSLRs...

Or its Leica L39 mount version would work.  An L39 to Z adapter should be cheaper and easier to find.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Vegarius

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2020, 20:39:05 »
Dear all. Thank you for incredibly competent answers to my questions. I'll go for an AI 105mm 2.5.