Author Topic: farewell, DDD.  (Read 4029 times)

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
Re: farewell, DDD.
« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2018, 23:23:43 »
Here in the USA, I’ve only heard “Ni-kon” and “Ni-kor” (both with a long i) but all my Australian friends pronounce them as “Nik-on” and “Nik-kor.”

So do the British.

Scandinavians in general pronounce Ni-kon with a short 'i' and light open 'o'. In Japan, the CEO of Nikon thought I did it the correct way judged from his smile :D

The big Press Launch of the Nikon D3 in 2007, with hundreds of journalists and reviewers all over the world attending was opened with a speak on how to pronounce "Nikon" and "Nikkor". Just saying I was a bit surprised but evidently the officials deemed the opportunity was too good to miss.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2018, 05:30:05 »
Makes me think of that brand of running shoes which was named after a Greek godess.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #17 on: June 09, 2018, 05:57:26 »

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #18 on: June 09, 2018, 14:27:46 »
Akira, Armando, Jaques, Arthur, Birna, Fons and others - thank you all.

Clearly there is quite a variation in respect of these pronunciations.  Maybe DDD's pronunciation of Nikon and Nikkor at least set a pronunciation precedent for some of us.

Akira, could you please indicate for me how would a person whose first language is Japanese would correctly pronounce Nikon and Nikkor?

I have always associated naikon and naikor as being an American interpretation of the pronunciation.

Thanks in anticipation.

Hugh Gunn