Author Topic: Infrared Photo Exhibit (New York City)  (Read 4464 times)

Thor Lidasan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Infrared Photo Exhibit (New York City)
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2018, 20:22:38 »
Good to see you back Thor.  The Windmills and the Moon for me, but what a nice series.  I like The Aftermath as well.

I still have a D40X - quite a nice light and handy camera, even if it is an oldie.  Its CCD sensor is a retuned version of that in the equally venerable D200.

Thank you, Hugh! I had the D200 briefly and I was not happy with the way infrared was being rendered by its sensor. Same sensor but the D40x rendered the photos more to my liking. The Windmills photo is from a Sony NEX camera. One of the few photos that camera produced that I really liked.

timh

• NG Supporter
  • uMhlanga, South Africa
« Reply #16 on: April 30, 2018, 20:26:20 »
The colours are amazing, I particularly like Tropical Pink. Congratulations on your gallery showing.
Timothy Hodgkinson

Thor Lidasan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #17 on: April 30, 2018, 20:27:29 »
Congratulations - I've seen several of these earlier and they should display to their full advantage hung in a gallery :D

If memory serves, I commented on the Windmills photo before. Or at least my former persona did.

The D40X is a terrific and neat camera. I kept one permanently modified for IR.

Yes, I made additional edits based on your comments. The Aftermath photo came out much better after you commented on the contrast and I went back and tuned it to show more contrast. I have the D40x for about 10 years now. Every time I think of getting rid of it, the camera always manages to surprise me with another image I like.

Thor Lidasan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2018, 20:32:24 »
very interesting way to see the world. Unique.

Thank you, Frank!

Indeed, a different way to view the world is what motivated me to chase the infrared light.

Thor Lidasan

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2018, 20:37:14 »
The colours are amazing, I particularly like Tropical Pink. Congratulations on your gallery showing.

Thanks, Tim!

Pink is part of my signature infrared hue. Something about the ethereal nature of infrared photos and rendering them in soft pink-hued color makes it very interesting for me. Here is a an example of how infrared rendered in pink softened up the harsh environment of Grand Canyon. This photo is not part of my exhibit:

Winter Pink

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2018, 21:28:47 »
Congratulations on your exhibit. I´ll really like to go see it in person.

Windmills and "aftermath" stand out for me in this great selection of your work.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2018, 22:59:01 »
Congratulations Thor, and nice to see so much of your excellent work in a single thread!

In its original state I sometimes struggled with the colors of my D40x, but after conversion to IR it really shines  - still using it as my dedicated IR body.

We have often in these fora stated that "IR is an acquired taste" so it can be interesting to hear how the general public responds to an IR only exhibition.
Øivind Tøien