Author Topic: Two spring colors...  (Read 2771 times)

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Two spring colors...
« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2018, 00:12:14 »
Mike, I've always used a tripod whenever I shot with the lens on D750.  But the efficient IBIS of GH5 and its crispy liveview image encouraged me to try handhold shooting.  That said, a tripod is still a lot more convenient for sure.
I think it is OK handheld, but certainly depth of field is so limited that focus can't be guaranteed. Here is one from today showing the area in focus is less than a centimeter when wide open.
803_0714

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Two spring colors...
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2018, 00:30:20 »
I think it is OK handheld, but certainly depth of field is so limited that focus can't be guaranteed. Here is one from today showing the area in focus is less than a centimeter when wide open.

Jack, yes, ensuring the focus with a manual lens is another big issue.  That's why I leaned against the wall when I shot the initial two images, which helped.

If you use an AF lens, you can raise the hit rate by switching the camera to AF-C mode instead of AF-S, which was an advice from Erik Lund.  In addition, the focusing unit or element in a smaller format camera is smaller and lighter, and need to travel shorter for the focusing than the one in a larger format camera, which makes the focusing response much quicker.  Of course, the larger DOF due to the shorter focal length also helps.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira