Author Topic: Old Camera: Leica Digilux2  (Read 1354 times)

JJChan

• JJ Chan
  • NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Old Camera: Leica Digilux2
« on: March 22, 2018, 15:56:32 »
I thought I'd post something about this engaging camera.

I found a cheap Digilux 2 whilst trawling through Classifieds. I had not used it for about 3 years when I decided to try to sell it - alas no sensible offers despite my low asking price. Hence, I decided to take it with me to the country and use it. It is a wonderful and charming camera and I am less keen to part with it now.

The Digilux2 was announced in 2003. It has a 5MP CCD 2/3" sensor but possesses a wonderful Leica designed Vario-Summicron lens equivalent to 28-90mm f2.0-2.4. It has a very low res and slow refresh EVF and a simple but very effective way of adjusting aperture and focus. It was beautifully constructed by Panasonic. It is not a small camera, and writing to the SD card was painfully slow, locking up the camera whilst in process. The sensor and lens combination is remarkable and has a unique pictorial quality. There are many much better pictures online (http://www.johnthawley.com/journal/2008/11/18/the-leica-digilux-2.html or http://www.overgaard.dk/leica_digilux2.html) but I thought it might be useful for other to see the rendition from a non-professional

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
Re: Old Camera: Leica Digilux2
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2018, 16:17:03 »
Thanks, indeed an interesting oldtimer! For exploring images captured through an Leica lens at very reasonable cost compared to other Leica options, Leica M,,,
Erik Lund

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2018, 19:00:31 »
These images look surprisingly nice.  Technically I have nothing to complain, and especially the B&W images are great.  Thank you for sharing!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2018, 23:19:45 »
I have the Panasonic version of  this camera, and used it as my first camera, ignoring a number of P/S vest pockets in the house.  I replaced it with a Fuji XE-1 after almost ten years  of Panasonic use, and soon replaced the Fuji with the Df.  I gave the Fuji to my son, and now only rarely use the LC1, so attracted to the Df have I become.  In addition, it enables me to use all my old F2 glass, and is the reason I bought the Df. My humble hope is that the Df will not lose its sensor, as did the Panasonic! I spent over 700 bucks for replacement service.  Crazy, I know, but I loved that camera, still do, but use it less and less as time goes by. I consider the LC1 the perfect film- like camera to introduce someone to true, basic photography. Hopefully, one day I will meet some young person who wants to learn to actually "use" a camera and I will happily gift it to them. If they get  the pleasure with it that I got in 1960 when I bought my Canon 1VS-2 Leica knock off I will feel the gifting worthy payment.