Author Topic: The TC Factor and Telephotos-the f3.3 Inflection Threshold  (Read 8791 times)

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
Re: The TC Factor and Telephotos-the f3.3 Inflection Threshold
« Reply #45 on: March 01, 2018, 22:31:57 »
I also never carry a long lens on my camera
I feel it much wiser to carry a long lens with my camera mounted on it  ;-)
Wolfgang Rehm

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: March 02, 2018, 00:00:57 »
I also never carry a long lens on my camera
I feel it much wiser to carry a long lens with my camera mounted on it  ;-)

Yes, much easier.

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2018, 10:05:14 »
I would even suggest it is best to disengage body and heavy lens for transport rather than carry them attached. If the body and lens fall and the body comes down first, there will not be left much to repair.

MILLIREHM

• NG Supporter
  • Vienna, Austria
« Reply #48 on: March 02, 2018, 14:33:02 »
In my Kiboko bag lenses and Cameras are transported disengaged, in the Lowe long lens trekker engaged, in the Lowe Flipside AW both  but mostly disengaged.
when I carry the equipment outside its mostly engaged.
Beware that a camera body can disengage from it s own (and fall down) when only the lens is carried. I had that happen with my D700, fortunately it was equipped with the MB-D10 so it had no damage otherwise it would have had.
Wolfgang Rehm

jgould2

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2018, 19:59:00 »
Hi all.

A most interesting discussion. Everyone seems to have different use cases so of course their solutions are going to differ as well. Speaking only about the Nikon long lenses I find that I generally don't break out my 600 unless I am not hiking too far between shots. The lens is just so heavy (13 lbs for the non-VR version) that I just don't trust it slung over my shoulder on the tripod and I don't like to break it down and carry it separately although I do. If it is only 10 or 20 yards between shots I lift the whole rig (Series 5 Gitzo with Wimberley gimbal) straight up and rest the tripod base on my shoulder with two legs front and back and one out to the side (more difficult to describe than to do). If I am hiking more than a mile to shoot a Bald Eagles' nest and I need the length because of the swamp between me and the nest (obviously not a hypothetical) then I carry the lens in a case, the camera on my hip and the tripod through the loop on my back.

If I am hiking quite a bit I will usually use my 500 f/4 on a series 3 Gitzo with the Wimberley gimbal. At 7.5 lbs (non-VR) I just fold up the legs and throw that rig over my shoulder without a care. The 500 f/4 is a minimal hassle lens to use.  The 400 f/2.8 at 10 lbs (non-VR) is in between and is marginal on a series 3 gitzo with Sidekick and I would never sling that over my shoulder. I will often just carry my 200-500 and D500 on a BlackRapid strap especially for scouting trips.

Again there are so many use cases that there is no one size fits all solution.

JIM

JKoerner007

« Reply #50 on: March 07, 2018, 23:15:50 »
Hi all.

A most interesting discussion. Everyone seems to have different use cases so of course their solutions are going to differ as well. Speaking only about the Nikon long lenses I find that I generally don't break out my 600 unless I am not hiking too far between shots. The lens is just so heavy (13 lbs for the non-VR version) that I just don't trust it slung over my shoulder on the tripod and I don't like to break it down and carry it separately although I do. If it is only 10 or 20 yards between shots I lift the whole rig (Series 5 Gitzo with Wimberley gimbal) straight up and rest the tripod base on my shoulder with two legs front and back and one out to the side (more difficult to describe than to do). If I am hiking more than a mile to shoot a Bald Eagles' nest and I need the length because of the swamp between me and the nest (obviously not a hypothetical) then I carry the lens in a case, the camera on my hip and the tripod through the loop on my back.

If I am hiking quite a bit I will usually use my 500 f/4 on a series 3 Gitzo with the Wimberley gimbal. At 7.5 lbs (non-VR) I just fold up the legs and throw that rig over my shoulder without a care. The 500 f/4 is a minimal hassle lens to use.  The 400 f/2.8 at 10 lbs (non-VR) is in between and is marginal on a series 3 gitzo with Sidekick and I would never sling that over my shoulder. I will often just carry my 200-500 and D500 on a BlackRapid strap especially for scouting trips.

Again there are so many use cases that there is no one size fits all solution.

JIM

Appreciate your info, Jim.