Author Topic: Interesting!  (Read 7540 times)

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Interesting!
« Reply #30 on: June 23, 2017, 04:17:38 »
This forum ought to have one of those smileys with a bag of popcorn.  I've been enjoying the debate and the polarization, not quite figuring out how to say what I want, except that I think the idea that technology makes you lazy, while it certainly can be true, does not have to be, and I think parts of this thread have a bit more bondage and discipline  than I really care for.  If the object of making a photograph is to get a photograph that does what you want it to do, I am not sure the morality of how it got there is all that relevant.  Walking to school in the snow builds character, but if your object is to learn geometry, it may not be to the point.

I don't suppose that's news to many, of course, and I suspect myself of being one of the bad photographers who have been woefully and sinfully empowered by the ease of making a photograph which is not so technically bad that random strangers hold their noses.  I like technology, in part because I'm a gearhead,  but also because I like to be able to take a camera and have it perform quickly tasks which I once had to perform slowly. 

All the same, I suspect that if the product under discussion is not just a silly new interface for things we already have, it is aimed at actually influencing photographs in ways that go beyond the usual technology of good exposure and sharp focus, and at either suggesting or imposing aesthetic choices,  which, for myself at least, I'd find pretty annoying.  If I'm going to take bad photographs, let them be good old fashioned bad choices, not clichés.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #31 on: June 23, 2017, 06:47:29 »
Good comments from many here.
It's hard to imagine an app that completely synthesizes subjects and compositions, although I can imagine one that takes an existing shot or shots, and then combines the images and recomposes and re-processes it into some preset 'look'. 
I feel that we are not far away from AI 'filters' that'll produce Walker Evans, HCB, or Sebastiao Salgado-themed shots upon command from the smartphone.  All part of what's to be expected in a constantly shifting [mostly junk]culture. 
The effect will be ...I predict...somewhat similar to the sinking dread one feels at the moment one realizes that the music track one is listening to has been created [at least]partially by computer.  For me, it is 'instant turn off'.
A surprising amount of the technical routines of still photography can and have been be automated, with the results that you no longer have to hire a specially skilled technician to get a clear, pleasantly realistic, seemingly correctly color-rendered photo of many common subjects. 
Alas, the 'standard photo' of common subjects has, as a result, become commonplace and therefore been devalued.
In the end, the final presentation either stands out and speaks to people, or it doesn't.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #32 on: June 23, 2017, 12:18:16 »
I don't think it is a taste for bondage and discipline so much as for wabi-sabi. 

marco

• NG Member
  • Enjoy life
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2018, 21:54:14 »
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAB-8mhWZXk&app=desktop

a walkthrough on the functions arsenal can do, althought most of what you see is something you can do in camera +dslr's/mirrorless i am curious to see how well it handles in the field iso his table lego setup ;)
Marco slaghuis