Author Topic: Re-celling EN-EL4 also (a)  (Read 7080 times)

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
Re: Re-celling EN-EL4 also (a)
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 14:28:42 »
Øivind, sorry I didn't thank you for the tip to do a search on Li-Ion cell levelling, that was key to a better understanding of the use of multiple Li-Ion cells in power packs.

Thank you very much for that.   :D
Not sure it was deserved, I was lazy and just gave you my search words, you did all the work on putting together the explanation. This has been enlightening with respect to understanding that multi-cell Li-ion/LiPolymer batteries are a lot more complex than the old NiCd/NiMH based ones and why things sometimes can go wrong. (I have personally earlier only dealt with design for single cell Li-ion/LiPoymer charging - that is pretty easy as one can buy dedicated charging chips for it that will do the job). Thanks for starting the thread.
Øivind Tøien

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2018, 05:25:17 »
I have been following this with interest as I have an EN-EL15 (Li-ion 20) that stopped working after less than 1 year of moderate use.  (Of course these use a different type of cell.) As it was out of warranty and there has been no recall on this series it has so far been a complete loss. (I have retained it hoping that some recalls one day would be expanded to the series of this battery; there has been some due to overheating.)

With respect to the 18650 cells, a US supplier I have used for some work related specialty batteries has high discharge rate versions from LG and Samsung at 2500mAh capacity at about $8 each...

Hi Øivind, the 18650 sized cell won't fit into the EN-EL15 sized casing. Firstly they are way too long, by about 15-20mm, but I also suspect diameter of the 18650 cell may also be too large too.
There's barely 1-2mm difference between the ENEL15 case and an 18650 cell, and I can't imagine the thickness of the case is going to be between 0.5-1mm.

I suspect that the EN-EL15 will use two 14500 cells to develop it's 7.0v(7.4v + some loss due to regulation via the electronics).

I've had in it mind to rip my Nikon EN-EL15 apart since about a year after I got my D800E as well. My original battery died after only one month, and subject to recall, but the replacement died after two months!
I got tired of the circular concept of warranty so just bought an aftermarket battery which is still going strong after nearly 5 years(and recently more inactivity, which is bad for batteries).
Arthur

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 09:17:25 »
Sorry about the even worse luck than me with the Nikon batteries. Did you by any chance use third party chargers on those, or did you stick to the original Nikon one? I am of course aware that the EN-EL15 will not take 18650 cells. Thanks for the suggestion for a possible replacement candidate.
Øivind Tøien

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 23:43:17 »
Sorry about the even worse luck than me with the Nikon batteries. Did you by any chance use third party chargers on those, or did you stick to the original Nikon one? ....

Nikon charger.
The half dead, half working Nikon battery works(still) but the D800E says it has no life left in it.
So it still charges and works, but my non scientific experience is that it doesn't last as long as the thirdparty battery I also got.
All batteries have been charged via the Nikon charger.
I do have a thirdparty travel charger(12v used in the car) but very rarely used, maybe once or twice in the time I've had the D800E.
Arthur

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2018, 00:13:54 »
The re-celled battery above hasn't proved to be particularly high capacity to date... Maybe 300 'normal' exposures in moderate temperatures, copying negatives/slides and photographing a lighthouse.mainly with a Micro Nikkor AI 55mm f2.8. The lighthouse, with Nikon zoom, 24-120 f4 VR

Will keep a note of how it's performing for future reference.

Becker photography who I got my  pattern EN-EL4's from thought 200 exposures in -7º cold conditions was within their expectations for that battery.  Unfortunately they are out of stock currently.

I think my next move in this direction will be a sealed golf trolly 20Ah lead acid battery in an insulated box.  I have most of the components now, only remains to construct it.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2018, 23:43:04 »
Last weekend I gave this EN-EL4 re-celled battery a workout at a Kart race circuit on a practice day.  I took 1760 exposures with this rebuilt battery and it was still working well.  No idea how many more it might have taken but I am happy enough with that.

I was using the oldest version of the Nikkor f2.8, 80-200mm trombone lens, on D3, continuous high shutter repeat, exposure mode A.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK