Author Topic: Veltheimia bracteata  (Read 959 times)

Seapy

• NG Member
Veltheimia bracteata
« on: February 17, 2018, 00:36:32 »
Saw this lovely example today, wanted to share.

D3, micro Nikkor 105mm f4 @f4
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
Re: Veltheimia bracteata
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 00:58:29 »
Thank you for sharing, Robert.
A lovely example, indeed.
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2018, 08:04:18 »
I once had a large yellow flowering Veltheimia, like a small Kniphofia they are.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2018, 08:51:28 »
Very nice tones and framing - the format with inclusion of space at the bottom works very well. It is also a good demonstration how the 105mm f/4 micro can paint the background.
Øivind Tøien

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 09:02:12 »
unusual crop. interesting
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2018, 10:32:51 »
Thank you for the appreciation, I took the 105, f2.5 with me, the intention to try the two together to see what the differences are with regard rendering of the subject and the background, but time was scarce, I spent almost half an hour trying to capture the beauty of a tiny blue flower which was untagged, I gave up, my eyes aren't so good for close work.  When I got home and examined the images on the computer, I realised the flowers back parts were decaying.  The flowers were no more than 10mm across and the light wasn't good...

This garden (Holehird, near Windermere) has vastly changed and improved since my last visit, it must have had large investment in the facilities.  The temperate house, while relatively small, was teeming with lovely specimens. Time and the slight crowding of the plants were not in my favour.

The garden was once part of a large house which was one of the first Leonard Cheshire homes for the disabled to be established c1961.  My visit yesterday was to see a specific Cotoneaster bush I clearly remember from my last visit.  The Cotoneaster was nowhere to be found but despite the season I had a delightful hour or so enjoying the garden and the wonderful temperate house.  I will re-visit, soon with more time and on a day with better light.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK