Author Topic: D200  (Read 2429 times)

benzen

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
D200
« on: January 04, 2018, 01:37:49 »
I know this camera is "old hat" for the majority of forum members and have long since moved on. I am new to photography and this is my tool for now. I have a 35mm DX to go with it. My question is regarding how to set the camera up. I am beginning to understand the relationship between the aperture, shutter speed and ISO. In "optimize image" I am starting in "normal". I assume the only way to determine an individual's preferences is to shoot under all menu items and see if I can figure through the differences. There are a lot of options....JPEG compression, high ISO noise reduction, color space. I will shoot a fair amount in black and white as well. Custom menu settings. Your thoughts on auto focus options and metering/ exposure options? I find it hard to manually focus this lens. I do not have young eyes so a bit of a challenge. I plan to start out shooting jpeg only. I know nothing about processing a photo but it will be somethings I will learn down the road. For now, it is a matter of setting up the camera and learning the "triangle" relationship as I am taking photographs. Thanks to all who offered help in the introduction page.

Ben

Seapy

• NG Member
Re: D200
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2018, 02:20:13 »
Regarding focus there is a little green focus confirmation indicator at the bottom left which I rely on, also you can adjust the ocular (viewfinder focus) for your personal eyesight.

As has been pointed out previously for practical DAY TO Day regard ISO 400 as the upper limit, that said I have some lovely images exposed way above that notional limit.

I still have two D200's for UV and IR respectively, they produce perfectly acceptable, even excellent results, I only relinquished mine when I got my D3 and D300S, I didn't need three bodies.

I generally use Aperture priority for the majority of subject (Including motorsport), while favouring manual for the remainder of my photography, time lapse and astro.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Jack Dahlgren

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2018, 05:30:32 »
I think you are missing some opportunity if you shoot jpg only without understanding the settings well.
If you shoot raw + jpg or raw only you can change many settings after the fact (white balance, exposure, jpg compression, conversion to black and white, color space etc.). Processing of digital images makes a big difference in them, so you should get started with it too. In a way, it removes pressure from you during capture, knowing you can sort it out later.

I don’t use auto-focus, so can’t help with settings for it. The green dot indicator Seapy mentions is important. Learn to look for it, but don’t be a slave to it.

Try the different metering modes. You can look at the results on the screen on the back to confirm you have an exposure you like. Meters are not magical, try and expose for what is important in the scene. You will find that not all days, times of day, and environments are possible to capture well. Sometimes there is just too much contrast. Pay attention to the light. Bright sunny days can be hard. You can usually add contrast to the image in processing, but if the highlights are burnt out or shadows are blocked, there is little you can do.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2018, 05:46:08 »
I am starting in "normal". I assume the only way to determine an individual's preferences is to shoot under all menu items and see if I can figure through the differences.
I start in Neutral and add punch if I want it in Nikon's CaptureNX-D. I use the LHC tool adding a soft "S" curve to punch up the mid tones. I used Chroma to increase color saturation or sometimes reduce it. It's important to use the PC (picture control) that suites the image and your intention when you shoot *if* you shoot only JPG. It's less important if you shoot NEF as you can change you mind later.

I plan to start out shooting jpeg only. I know nothing about processing a photo but it will be somethings I will learn down the road. For now, it is a matter of setting up the camera and learning the "triangle" relationship as I am taking photographs.
I strongly recommend shoot NEF plus JPG (fine & Large). Just save the NEF(s) for later. If you need to change the WB (white or color balance) there isn't much you can do with a JPG. There are other significant limitations to a JPG.

If you are on a Windows computer I'll recommend installing Nikon ViewNX-i and you can upload with Nikon Transfer 2. You can install Nikon CaptureNX-D now or later. Both are free for the download. On a MAC I have reservations about installing ViewNX-i. I have a Windows 7 computer and a MAC running El Capitan. Someone running a newer MAC with a newer OS can recommend what I can't.

I will shoot a fair amount in black and white as well.
I recommend using the Monochrome PC with a yellow virtual filter. If you shoot NEF you can change the virtual filter later. If you shoot only JPG you can't. If find when my intention is to make a B&W photograph using the Monochrome PC sets my mind set to thinking how the image will look in B&W and though I see color I'm thinking about how the colors will translate to B&W.

Best,

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2018, 05:59:11 »
RAW plus JPG is a good way to go.  The D200 menu options allows one to record RAW plus JPG in three sizes and compression settings.  For what it is worth I always opted when starting in digital photography to choose RAW plus JPG (Fine) and tried (not always successfully I have to confess  :( ) to get the JPG right in the camera, with the RAW file as my "Get Out of Jail" card to salvage bad outcomes in the JPG file.  ;D

Incidentally I have used Compact Flash cards of up to 32GB in my D200 cameras wihout any problems, so storage costs and card capacities should not be a big issue for you in the learning phase of your photographic journey if you use RAW plus JPG.
Hugh Gunn

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2018, 11:30:31 »
I found the ViewFinder (VF) of the D200 very bad for manual focus. I would suggest you get a replacement focussing screen for manual focus or you learn to use AF.

A really good JPEG is embedded in any RAW and you can easily work with this if you want JPEG and only shoot RAW.

The RAW file is your keeper, you "Digital Negative".

With current cameras the JPEG engines are so sophisticated that using the JPEG out of camera is an option. With the D200 / D70 / D2X (same generation cameras) the quality of the camera can only be seen in RAW. So even if you shoot RAW + JPEG and only want to use the JPEG now, also shoot your RAW or you will later regret it. Storage is dirt cheap today. When I got my D3 I paid 120€ for each of my two 8GB cards.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 12:35:18 »
+1 for all points.

The reason for shooting NEF plus JPG fine is to have JPG(s) with no further effort. The embedded JPG is available almost as fast with a program like Instant JPG from RAW. I stopped shooting NEF + JPG fine to save HD space shortly after buying a Nikon D800. A program like ON1 Photo 10 - Browse extracts and cashes the embedded JPG and also creates and cashed previews at 25% 50% and 100%. It appears to do this instantly in fast preview mode. If it's not caching previews during slack time then it's the work of the devil.

Anyway do as I say but not as I do because I haven't shot NEF + JPG for about three years.  :)  ;)  :D

Dave Hartman 

DougB

• NG Member
  • I IS NikonGear
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2018, 16:16:09 »
Ben
Firstly, welcome to NikonGear & also welcome to your D200. I still have one & leave it in the car. Great cam to start with (and keep using!)
Do some searching on the web - LOTS of info there & plus what others have offered above.
If you are stuck on anything, ask here. Great group

Start off with JPEG - you will soon switch to RAW  8)

Enjoy

benzen

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2018, 16:31:31 »
Okay....I am convinced. I will shoot in both jpeg Fine + NEF. I downloaded Capture NXD and View NX. I am trying to keep things on the simple side as all the options are a bit overwhelming. While I am plenty old enough to have messed with film long before digital, it sure seemed a lot less complex.

Dave, there is not a "neutral" option on the D200. Just normal, softer, vivid, more vivid and portrait as well as BW. I figure normal is a good starting point.

Frank, I agree on the manual focus thing. After a bit of research, it seems modern digital cameras are not optimized for manual focus. I will learn the auto focus options for now before investing time to determine if it is worthwhile to send the camera somewhere to change focus screens.

Hugh, I currently have a 2GB card and a 4GB card. I suspect I will need a bit more shooting time and experience before needing anything larger but I will look into getting a couple more.

Seapy, I am starting out in P or Program mode. I can change both shutter and Aperture as I see fit. Not sure what the advantage or disadvantage of any of these modes yet. Also center weighted metering. Is there an advantage to any of the metering modes? I assume it depends on what you are capturing and the lighting.

Frank, you mention modern JPEG engine sophistication. Does this mean straight out of the camera auto everything = a proper exposure? Does this then infer that more sophisticated capturing devices offer less challenging or perhaps less thought and tinkering to get a proper exposure? Not necessarily to get a good photograph as that seems to be an entirely different aspect but more related to the mechanics of a good photograph.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will try and post (when I can figure it out) to the critique section of the site as I go along. Probably the only way I am going to learn what a good photograph looks like.

Ben

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 22:00:39 »
Not auto everything. Configure to your liking. Save the RAW just in case.

The ground glass of many modern DSLRs is not good for manual focus but you can get replacement and it works
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2018, 22:09:13 »
I always intended to get a Kateye? for my D200 but I managed and eventually gave up on the idea.  I believe Kateye went out of business, but no doubt there are other options.

Regarding fitting the screens I believe it's a simple matter go flicking a clip and lifting the original out with a pair of tweezers and replacing with the new screen.  If unsure better to get it done at a camera repair centre, or shop with the facilities and experience.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2018, 22:09:57 »
Dave, there is not a "neutral" option on the D200. Just normal, softer, vivid, more vivid and portrait as well as BW. I figure normal is a good starting point.

Softer might be about like the Neutral PC in newer cameras. For now the Normal is probably your best choice.

If you shoot NEF + JPG you can change the Picture Control in Nikon ViewNX-i software from "Camera compatible" to "Latest picture control" and then have more choices and greater control. With the NEF you can change your mind after shooting. I checked NEF(s) from my D2H so I'm pretty sure this option is available in ViewNX-i for the D200 as it's newer than the D2H.

Dave

Here are a links for downloading Nikon ViewNX-i and other software. ViewNX-i is freeware...

Nikon Download Center - Select your product

Nikon Download Center - Nikon D200

The latest version of ViewNX-i for both Windows and MAC is v1.2.10 (64bit) as of 2018-01-04. I'm running Windows 7, Service Pack 1 as I type and Apple OS X El Capitan v10.11.6 on my iMAC.

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2018, 22:35:47 »
The D200 I had for six months had eye-focus issues:  When eye-focusing my Nikkor 85/1.4 Ais lens wide open, the finder would give an inaccurate focus...just slightly off.  It was vey noticeable on detailed + distant subjects.  With other wider and slower lenses the D200 seemed to eye-focus fine.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA