Author Topic: Making a Panorama Head with a Difference.  (Read 18701 times)

Seapy

• NG Member
Re: Making a Panorama Head with a Difference.
« Reply #15 on: December 20, 2017, 12:12:20 »
Mmmm, not sure about that, at 70 I don't have time on my side!   ;)
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #16 on: December 20, 2017, 12:49:01 »
I am German.
I never laugh and never have fun.
By definition.

I am not sure you understood that I really like your project.

Technical annotation: The Nodal point is irrelevant for non parallax photography. You have to rotate around the entrance pupil. But you are right, the entrence pupil of the Nikkor AF-S 300mm f2.8 VR II is really -212.5mm ... IMO a non transportale design plus a 300mm tele lens does not make much sense for panoramic photography. You need to downsize the files significantly to have them rendering or a machnine, with -- what -- 2 Terabyte of RAM????

I take panos both for fun and for clients since 2005, I found the 24mm and 35mm to be very useful. I get 800MP with the 1.4/24 on a D600...

between 60 and 150 Files per 180x360 is practical. 12GByte Panos are doable on my 64 GB RAM machine
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2017, 12:59:58 »
I remember seeing a gigapixel pano project in the Netherlands where, if I remember correctly, they used a D1X and a 600/4.0 lens.  They made a huge pano of an entire town using images shot from a rooftop of a building.  I saw the pano, and I could enlarge the details infinitely!
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

rosko

• Homo erectus manualfocus
  • NG Supporter
  • France/Uk
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2017, 14:31:33 »
A bloody big and challenging project !

So, as everybody here I am going to wait patiently the following of the event... :D

I wish you a good luck and looking forward the next step.

Thank for sharing, Francis.
Francis Devrainne

golunvolo

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2017, 14:41:26 »
Thank you Akira, indeed I will.  This evening am visiting my friend to try the lump in his lathe.  Tea and biscuits, surrounded by historic racing motorbikes in his shed!  A 250 Rudge hillclimb bike, an HRD Vincent and a prototype three wheeler which paved the way for the most controversial sidecar world championship title ever, the Greenwood special, which my friend is currently restoring (with a little help from me).  Oh joy!

Might even make some swarf...  ;D

This is getting better and better. Please, an image of that hillclimber! If possible...☺️

ColinM

• NG Supporter
  • Herefordshire, UK
    • My Pictures
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2017, 15:10:00 »
I came across this and it reminded me of the material you're working with

https://youtu.be/50_n2j_Pe0E

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2017, 15:23:38 »
I am German.
I never laugh and never have fun.
By definition.

Mmmm... We better not go there! LOL  Your comments seemed... A little serious?  I do have a photo, somewhere, of the 1989?  Le Mans 24Hr finish.  The predominantly German stand, Mercedes, Porche banners... Was filled with spectators who were politely standing admiring the finish, a Porche won, by a few laps, the Jaguars had all died but the Brits were in raptures, waving flags, clambering over the 12ft wall onto the track etc. because the winning driver was British.  Just an observation.

I am not sure you understood that I really like your project.

Well you did conceal your enthusiasm well!  LOL ;D

Technical annotation: The Nodal point is irrelevant for non parallax photography. You have to rotate around the entrance pupil. But you are right, the entrence pupil of the Nikkor AF-S 300mm f2.8 VR II is really -212.5mm ... IMO a non transportale design plus a 300mm tele lens does not make much sense for panoramic photography. You need to downsize the files significantly to have them rendering or a machnine, with -- what -- 2 Terabyte of RAM????

I realise the nodal point and the entrance pupil are different but informally most people tend to use the terms interchangeably.  I did intend to cover that in my first post but forgot.  By using a panoramic head I am hoping I will be able to create templates of the lens positions which will/should make the stitching process easier.  I don't intend to do hundreds of panoramas but I have several locations in mind.

My intention with the 300mm isn't to make 360-180º pano's but for example there is a Priory Church near here which has the second? largest East window in the UK, it contains some original 16th century glass. I hope to be allowed to make a panorama of the window with the 300mm from as far back as possible so I'm not getting as much sky behind the glass and I will be viewing as level as possible without building a scaffold.

I worked on restoring the window and other parts of the priory, back in 1962 as an apprentice.

For most 360-180º panoramas I intend to use my 16mm fisheye with the D3.  Six upright exposures around high (past the zenith), six low and a nadir.

I take panos both for fun and for clients since 2005, I found the 24mm and 35mm to be very useful. I get 800MP with the 1.4/24 on a D600...

between 60 and 150 Files per 180x360 is practical. 12GByte Panos are doable on my 64 GB RAM machine

I have an old Apple Mac Pro 4.1 which I hacked to 5.1 with a couple of SSD's + HD's I fitted 32Gb Ram but it actually runs slightly faster on 24Gb, unless Photoshop is swapping in and out of RAMdisk but with the SSD's it's marginal. I am considering fitting a couple of ultra fast M2 PCI SSD's which will make it fly.  Although from what I have read PTGui doesn't make use of a lot of RAM, it's said to work on quite modest machines but never-the-less more RAM has to be good.  ;D
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 15:39:49 »

This is getting better and better. Please, an image of that hillclimber! If possible...☺️

Will do my best, it's been raced on the Isle of Man hill climb section, came second I think, a bit primitive but a really nice, original bike.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #23 on: December 20, 2017, 15:41:15 »
I came across this and it reminded me of the material you're working with

https://youtu.be/50_n2j_Pe0E

Thank you Colin, I see the resemblance, what a fascinating device!
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #24 on: December 20, 2017, 16:26:43 »
@seapy: try "kolor Autopano GIGA"

great software with an advanced algorithm. Ypu can dive into tje details or leve it.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Matthew Currie

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2017, 16:52:30 »
I am still a bit fuzzy on what is being made here, but it's fascinating anyway and I hope we see the results.

Quite off the topic, but the reference to dead Jaguars above reminds me of one of those little jokes whose origin is long forgotten.  In some automotive magazine, I think, the question of how different people view reliability was addressed more or less this way.  A Honda owner crows that  he's just gotten two hundred thousand miles without a major repair, and a Jaguar owner crows that he just drove across the country and it only caught fire once.

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #26 on: December 20, 2017, 17:11:05 »
@seapy: try "kolor Autopano GIGA"

great software with an advanced algorithm. Ypu can dive into tje details or leve it.

Thanks Frank, off out now but will take a look later.
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Seapy

• NG Member
« Reply #27 on: December 20, 2017, 17:19:34 »
I am still a bit fuzzy on what is being made here, but it's fascinating anyway and I hope we see the results.

Quite off the topic, but the reference to dead Jaguars above reminds me of one of those little jokes whose origin is long forgotten.  In some automotive magazine, I think, the question of how different people view reliability was addressed more or less this way.  A Honda owner crows that  he's just gotten two hundred thousand miles without a major repair, and a Jaguar owner crows that he just drove across the country and it only caught fire once.

You and I both, but it will evolve in time, if the eBay shower deliver my nodal rails...

Yea but the Jag driver will have kept the petrol tanker driver in work, the mechanic in work and the road sweeper (picking up the bits that drop off),  not to mention the fire crew!  On top of that he will have had nice day. OK the Honda driver will have got to work a few times but where's the excitement in that?  ;D
Robert C. P.
South Cumbria, UK

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #28 on: December 20, 2017, 20:20:40 »
Thanks Frank, off out now but will take a look later.

I use this software since it was invented, first as a scientific project, later as commercial licenses from the University. For small stitches, like two to 5 pictures and less than 180deg in any direction I use PS "photomerge". But for the more complex and delicate stuff I use Autopano Giga.

For the church windows here I use a 200mm or 300 mmm single shot with a high res body like the D850. With the right light (diffuse & backlit) I get great results printable to nearly every size:

https://www.sankt-petrus-bonn.de/_Resources/Persistent/6fe43e627a6550d1647ab35409470f46ef951c22/Eckstein-2016-1.pdf

An they only took a 100% crop from my shot for the title page!

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY
« Reply #29 on: December 21, 2017, 02:23:56 »
cant wait to see the results  :o :o :o

back in the day we had a similar rig made by our engineers for the ARRI cameras for a slightly similar purpose