Author Topic: Fujifilm IS-Pro Full Spectrum Camera  (Read 2623 times)

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Fujifilm IS-Pro Full Spectrum Camera
« on: December 01, 2017, 02:28:28 »
Good day.

I saw a Fujifilm IS-Pro Full Spectrum Camera for IR/UV Photography that's for sale. I just have a few questions about it. (1) would be any different in handling a IR converted camera as I have a IR conerted Nikon d200. Does anyone here used this or a similar camera? (2) Would I need to use filters in front of the lens to shoot in IR of UV?

Thanks
Keep shooting,
Bern

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Fujifilm IS-Pro Full Spectrum Camera
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 02:39:08 »
Hi,

You need specific filters for IR or UV.  With some telephoto lenses with the internal filter holders, you can put the filter in the holder.  You might be able to find specially designed filter that attaches directly onto the mirrorbox.

You should also bear in mind that En-EL3(e) battery is not compatible with Fuji IS-Pro (nor FinePix S5), even though it is based on D200.  Unless you have dedicated batteries, you have to find the battery grip and use AA batteries.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 08:39:20 »
Thanks Akira.
Seems it just might be better to stick with a dedicated IR converted camera just for easier handling especially avoiding the need for long exposures.
Keep shooting,
Bern

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 12:09:33 »
That particular Fuji model apparently is much better suited to IR anyway, as its UV response is claimed to be curtailed and reaches not below approx. 380 nm (Fuji specifications).

I have the Fuji S5 myself and it has been modified for "broad band" use. It does not go down as far into UV as the modified Nikons at my disposal, but is OK for near-IR and IR work. I use it largely for making simulated 'false-colour Infrared' for which purpose it does very well. All parts except batteries are compatible with D200, a fact I have availed myself of several times. For example, replacing a broken rear display with the one for D200.

The RAW files for these cameras (RAF) are a royal pain to process properly and Fuji's own proprietary program must rank among the worst written and designed software in history.  SilkyPix Pro does a pretty good job of making the RAFs useful though, despite its share of idiosyncrasies, but is not free software.

Bern

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 10:15:02 »
Thanks for the added comment Bjorn. Am starting to explore the IR realm and had a d200 converted. Initially I was thinking that this particular model would be better. However, the D200 looks like it will be simplier to use and process the files.

Keep shooting,
Bern

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 18:35:59 »
The RAW files for these cameras (RAF) are a royal pain to process properly and Fuji's own proprietary program must rank among the worst written and designed software in history.
Yes, I haven't seen worse  ;)