Author Topic: full frame Z Fc on the horizon?  (Read 755 times)

John Geerts

• NG Supporter
  • Photojournalist in Tilburg, Netherlands
    • Tilburgers
Re: full frame Z Fc on the horizon?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2023, 18:30:36 »
With a standard FTZ-adapter ?   ;)

RobOK

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
    • My gallery
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2023, 21:04:18 »
Maybe with the insides of a Z9!!

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2023, 19:59:50 »
When I first saw Fons' post a thought came to me that he might be able to answer a question that has occurred to me and continues to bother me about my ZFc, but I now realize that Birne is the ideal person to answer my question as she was instrumental in deciding me in my purchase of the camera and even more so about the Voigtlander lens she encouraged me to buy to complete the little camera, as she would have no shortage of Z body/lens knowledge.  So, put simply, when I buy the full frame camera body, if it then exists, and fit my perfect little Nokton lens, what will be the effective focal length of the lens on the new body?

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2023, 21:17:28 »
The same.

Kenneth Rich

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2023, 20:18:32 »
Thank you. That is what I had hoped.Not four thirds.

Birna Rørslett

• Global Moderator
  • A lesser fierce bear of the North
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2023, 21:37:15 »
Perhaps I was a little imprecise, so allow me to clarify.

The focal length doesn't change when a lens is moved over from DX to FX. However, depending on the lens design *and* interaction camera-lens, the covered area can change or image resolution might suffer.

Some DX lenses trigger the target camera to set it self to a DX frame,  for example, my Viltrox lenses for Z fc on the Z9. They thus will keep their focal length (of course) *and* their angle of view, but the camera resolution is lowered, in the case of Z9, from 45 to 19Mpix. The Voigtländer 35mm f/1.2 DX does not interact in this manner and if the camera is set to FX, it will remain so. However, the projected image doesn't fully cover the FX sensor area and hence strong vignetting occur. IF the Z9 is manually set to DX format, the Voigtländer 35 behaves as it does on the Z fc, and the slight drop of resolution from 20.9 MPix (DX, Z fc) to 19 (DX, Z9) is hardly significant.

In practice I swap my Viltrox lenses between Z/DX and Z/FX (Z9) cameras without any mental efforts. The lower file size on the Z9 rarely is important as resolution by and large remains the same in this case.