Author Topic: DxOMark tests Canon 5Ds, performs less than D810 or a7R  (Read 8030 times)

Bjørn J

• NG Member
  • North of the Arctic Circle
Re: DxOMark tests Canon 5Ds, performs less than D810 or a7R
« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2015, 21:37:55 »
I much prefer the D810 for high ISO photography, it has way more detail in the image than the D3S. I used both for northern lights one winter, and the D810 is superior. The D3S may have slightly less noise than the 810, but also far less detail. When I resample the 810 files to 12 MP the noise decreases, but detail is kept. If I resample the D3S files to 810 size, noise increases greatly, and details in the photo is just mush. So I sold the D3S, I had no use for it as I don't need the speed.
When comparing noise, it is important to resample the photos to the same size. And also look at the details in the photo, not just the noise (grain structure).
(And the grain structure from the D810 is just beautiful, flim-like and random.)
Bjørn Jørgensen

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: DxOMark tests Canon 5Ds, performs less than D810 or a7R
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015, 19:23:55 »
My assumption is that, regardless of what the test bench says that the shot noise and amplifier noise might be, if the pixels are much smaller, the "noise blobs" are much smaller also. 
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA