Gear Talk > Camera Talk

DxOMark tests Canon 5Ds, performs less than D810 or a7R

(1/4) > >>

Jan Anne:
DxOMarks tested the Canon 5Ds packing a whopping 50MP sensor but found it lacking compared to those in the Nikon D810 and Sony a7R, two cams midway or at the end of their lifecycle.

At NG we respect all gear choices so this is not intended as an A versus B bashing, this doesn't mean we can't discuss the sensor technologies used by the different brands however. In this case I'm genuinely feeling sorry for our Canon friends as their favourite brand apparently doesn't stack up to the competition :(

Read the full review here:
http://www.dxomark.com/Reviews/Canon-5DS-5DS-R-Review-New-top-ranking-Canon-EOS-sensor/Canon-5DS-5DS-R-Comparison-3-EOS-5DS-vs-Nikon-D810-vs-Sony-A7R

Jan Anne:
DPReview also took a look at the DxO data:
http://www.dpreview.com/articles/3673531883/dxomark-eos-5ds-r-sensor-is-highest-ranked-canon-sensor-yet

They are talking about a whopping 2.5EV DR advantage for the D810, insane.

stenrasmussen:
Although there is more to photography than DR it is still an area of interest to landscapers for instance. What Canon does really well, AF and Live View to name two, it does better than most. What I would line to see from both of the biggies is more invetion/progress. But I guess the old "never change a winning formula" still rules in the inner decision rooms of both makers...or maybe they got them blinders on 😊

Akira:
When I saw some sample images of elephants and others shot with 5DS (or SR), I immediately felt, though as expected, that the DR suffered, which is really a shame because Canon excels Nikon in other aspects as Sten mentioned.  I also prefer the external user interface of Canon, although the Nordic people would say that Canon's buttons are too small to operate with the gloves on.

pluton:
Canon makes good equipment.  I always felt that the finder of the 5D2 was nicer for MF than the Nikon I had at the time.
I have read that Canon is stuck at a certain level of micro circuit size in their sensor designs and fab.  The original Canon strategy of developing and making their own sensors may not be helping them compete with the Sony sensor shop.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version