Gear Talk > Camera Talk

Nikon flash fill in

(1/6) > >>

armando_m:
How do you use flash ?

Here are some examples of what I do when shooting with flash

I have an SB700 (and a SB600 that needs repairing)
The flashes are usually shoot in remote mode - at least that is how I used them in the examples I'll share here
To trigger the flash I use the on camera flash in commander mode only
The remote flash I have configured as TTL
I do not like using the flash in manual mode, it restricts the distance from the flash to the model, if she takes 2 steps in either direction I like the flash to adjust as needed
I have the flash configuration menu accessible from the quick menu
Flash EV is set via the flash config menu, why ? just because I'm use to doing that, the button for flash and the rear control wheel can also be used to set the flash compensation
I have also used the SB800 and SB900 , so far the SB700 is the easiest to configure, for the others I need to read the manual

When shooting I'll measure ambient light and fill in with the remote flash - usually at -1 EV
The camera exposure is set in manual mode
I have used remote flash only with AF-S lenses, I understand it uses the focus distance to calculate flash power

Measured ambient, flash about 3m left of the model using a soft box, coming from the same direction of ambient,
It's important to keep  IR window on the flash visible to the on camera commander flash
1/125 f/4 ISO 1000
flash EV 0

2. using high speed sync

Ambient iso 100 f1.8 1/4000
Flash left of camera, about 2m away from the model,
When using high speed sync lowers the power significantly, so the flash has to be close, if the power was insufficient the flash will beep 3 times
the flash IR window  was in the shade, if the sun hits it, operation becomes sporadic

3. way more evident fill flash

1/250 f3.2 iso 800

Do you use flash ? how do you use it ?

elsa hoffmann:
Give me a studio light - I can make magic.
Give me a speed-light - and I turn into  a moron.
Of course having flash off camera makes a world of difference - which I usually don't do with a speed-light.
Armando - I am going to make a point of using your info (and Gary's on the other thread) and put this into practice.
It's no good just reading about it here.
thanks for posting this

Jan Anne:
Awesome images Armando.

Personally I haven't used a flash in years but do use Hi CRI flashlights to brighten a subject or scene, light paint, etc.

Here's an example:

Frank Fremerey:
I use flash for conference jobs where the only light source is downlights with ugly shadows.

Practically it is often sufficient to glue a diffusor foil in front on the builtin flash. BUT: If I shoot wide angle or want a proper distribution of light across the frame I use the SB800 with a huge diffusor or indirectly. I like to have flash use that is not recognizable as flash use. I feel fillin is not as good in Auto Mode as I can do it with fixed ISO, t, f plus Manual flash power output.

Here is a very old D70 shot, quite possible JPEG ooc

HCS:
I use flash in my small softbox for flower portraits (where strobes are too powerful). In manual mode.
I use flash to even out the contrast in outdoor, esp. summer, people shots (even though this is less necessary with D3s and now D810). In TTL mode, using compensation to massage the light to my liking.
I use flash to put "sparkle" in people's eyes in outdoor/daylight scenarios. Manual or TTL, depends on lighting situation.

I typically underdo the flash in outdoor scenarios and then lift to taste when processing the Raw. I don't like pulling up shadows all the way (wen not using flash), but a little goes a long way in this case.

I sometimes use flash bare for flower portraits to mimic a setting sun. In manual mode.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version