Author Topic: Nikon flash fill in  (Read 11365 times)

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
    • http://armando-m.smugmug.com/
Nikon flash fill in
« on: July 07, 2015, 22:12:18 »
How do you use flash ?

Here are some examples of what I do when shooting with flash

I have an SB700 (and a SB600 that needs repairing)
The flashes are usually shoot in remote mode - at least that is how I used them in the examples I'll share here
To trigger the flash I use the on camera flash in commander mode only
The remote flash I have configured as TTL
I do not like using the flash in manual mode, it restricts the distance from the flash to the model, if she takes 2 steps in either direction I like the flash to adjust as needed
I have the flash configuration menu accessible from the quick menu
Flash EV is set via the flash config menu, why ? just because I'm use to doing that, the button for flash and the rear control wheel can also be used to set the flash compensation
I have also used the SB800 and SB900 , so far the SB700 is the easiest to configure, for the others I need to read the manual

When shooting I'll measure ambient light and fill in with the remote flash - usually at -1 EV
The camera exposure is set in manual mode
I have used remote flash only with AF-S lenses, I understand it uses the focus distance to calculate flash power

Measured ambient, flash about 3m left of the model using a soft box, coming from the same direction of ambient,
It's important to keep  IR window on the flash visible to the on camera commander flash
1/125 f/4 ISO 1000
flash EV 0

2. using high speed sync

Ambient iso 100 f1.8 1/4000
Flash left of camera, about 2m away from the model,
When using high speed sync lowers the power significantly, so the flash has to be close, if the power was insufficient the flash will beep 3 times
the flash IR window  was in the shade, if the sun hits it, operation becomes sporadic

3. way more evident fill flash

1/250 f3.2 iso 800

Do you use flash ? how do you use it ?
Armando Morales
D800, Nikon 1 V1, Fuji X-T3

elsa hoffmann

• NG Member
  • Cape Town, South Africa
    • Elsa Hoffmann
Re: Nikon flash fill in
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 07:44:28 »
Give me a studio light - I can make magic.
Give me a speed-light - and I turn into  a moron.
Of course having flash off camera makes a world of difference - which I usually don't do with a speed-light.
Armando - I am going to make a point of using your info (and Gary's on the other thread) and put this into practice.
It's no good just reading about it here.
thanks for posting this
"You don’t take a photograph – you make it” – Ansel Adams. Thats why I use photoshop.
www.phototourscapetown.com
www.elsa.co.za. www.intimateimages.co.za

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 09:33:02 »
Awesome images Armando.

Personally I haven't used a flash in years but do use Hi CRI flashlights to brighten a subject or scene, light paint, etc.

Here's an example:
Cheers,
Jan Anne

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 09:50:01 »
I use flash for conference jobs where the only light source is downlights with ugly shadows.

Practically it is often sufficient to glue a diffusor foil in front on the builtin flash. BUT: If I shoot wide angle or want a proper distribution of light across the frame I use the SB800 with a huge diffusor or indirectly. I like to have flash use that is not recognizable as flash use. I feel fillin is not as good in Auto Mode as I can do it with fixed ISO, t, f plus Manual flash power output.

Here is a very old D70 shot, quite possible JPEG ooc
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 13:50:11 »
I use flash in my small softbox for flower portraits (where strobes are too powerful). In manual mode.
I use flash to even out the contrast in outdoor, esp. summer, people shots (even though this is less necessary with D3s and now D810). In TTL mode, using compensation to massage the light to my liking.
I use flash to put "sparkle" in people's eyes in outdoor/daylight scenarios. Manual or TTL, depends on lighting situation.

I typically underdo the flash in outdoor scenarios and then lift to taste when processing the Raw. I don't like pulling up shadows all the way (wen not using flash), but a little goes a long way in this case.

I sometimes use flash bare for flower portraits to mimic a setting sun. In manual mode.
Hans Cremers

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 14:49:57 »
Hans. Yes. Right. Compensate shadows in blazing sun.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 20:56:09 »
Awesome images Armando.

Personally I haven't used a flash in years but do use Hi CRI flashlights to brighten a subject or scene, light paint, etc.

Light painting in that scale !
When i have tried I end up with a very bright foreground and a dark background
Also I end up with very uneven lightning
Armando Morales

armando_m

• NG Supporter
  • Guadalajara México
« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 21:01:10 »
I use flash for conference jobs where the only light source is downlights with ugly shadows.

Practically it is often sufficient to glue a diffusor foil in front on the builtin flash. BUT: If I shoot wide angle or want a proper distribution of light across the frame I use the SB800 with a huge diffusor or indirectly. I like to have flash use that is not recognizable as flash use. I feel fillin is not as good in Auto Mode as I can do it with fixed ISO, t, f plus Manual flash power output.

Here is a very old D70 shot, quite possible JPEG ooc

Excellent point Frank, I never combine Auto-ISO with flash
Armando Morales

Jørgen Ramskov

• NG Supporter
  • Aarhus, Denmark
« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 22:10:27 »
Hans. Yes. Right. Compensate shadows in blazing sun.

Well, it seems I'm capable of reading a manual as I got commander mode working using the flash on my D750 as master and SB-900 as remote.

When do you use TTL and when do you use manual mode? (sorry about the newbie question)
Jørgen Ramskov

Jan Anne

• Noob
  • Global Moderator
  • Holland
    • Me on Flickr
« Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 23:06:40 »
When do you use TTL and when do you use manual mode? (sorry about the newbie question)
It's been ages but if I remember correctly my defaults flash settings were:
- Manual exposure to control the background (try first without the flash)
- Flash on TTL to let the camera determine subject exposure
- Flash at second curtain
- Starting point with flash exposure compensation was usually -1.67EV to make things blend a little bit

Later I used an extension cable to connect the small travel SB400 flash with the D3s to have the flash fire off centre, downside of that setup was the lack of flash EV compensation buttons on the camera and flash (one of my gripes of the D3s) but you shouldn't have that problem with the D750 nor the SB900.

Then you can do silly fun stuff like this :)
Cheers,
Jan Anne

afx

• NG Member
  • Grumpy Bavarian from Munich
    • AFXImages
« Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 23:07:38 »

TTL only with on cam flash and potentially changing light. The cam is still manual though, set to capture the ambient.

But most of the time I prefer one or more off cam flashes triggered via pocket wizard or just SU-4 mode (one gets triggered via radio, the rest then follow via the light trigger.

cheers
afx

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #11 on: July 08, 2015, 23:12:24 »
Jørgen: detaching your flash is not always practical. When I use two hands for the camera I rapidly run out of hands
to hold a flash. So the classic style with a cable, flash on a rail is not that dumb at all.

The little stand that comes with the SBX00 series needs some glue tape support in busy environments otherwise your
 flash finds a new owner sooner than you might wish for. If you like the direction of the light sources on location you
can support them CLS wise by placing SU4 aware flashes or wirelessly triggered flashes in unsuspiciouly looking lamps.

I know one guy working for locations. He uses many cheapo flashes glued to  ceilings. They even have mains connection
Or additional battery packs for stamnia. This way you can freeze dancers in a busy disco without even bein recognized
as a photographer. One would need huge ladders to steal these

Jakov Minić

• Jakov Minic
  • Global Moderator
  • The Hague, The Netherlands
    • Jakov Minić
« Reply #12 on: July 09, 2015, 14:13:15 »
These are some lovely images Armando!
(And yours Jan Anne!)

At work I use the flash a lot, manual mode f/5.6 1/125, auto ISO, and I bounce the flash off the ceiling, I don't know how but it always works for me.
I am yet to master the flash commander and the flash units set off camera. Armando and Jan Anne inspired me now!
Free your mind and your ass will follow. - George Clinton
Before I jump like monkey give me banana. - Fela Kuti
Confidence is what you have before you understand the problem. - Woody Allen

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #13 on: July 09, 2015, 15:44:33 »
Good advice here on how to get started with flash in general and off-camera in particular.

But, important lesson i learned ... the starting point is just that ... a starting point. One other good starting point is everything in auto, camera and flash. But, then it's difficult to adjust to your liking, because you'd not know which decisions have been taken by the camera/flash combo.

I'd like to start with camera in Aperture mode, usually somewhere around F5.6 and the flash on TTL. Then adjust up or down from the result i get. Whether or not you're shooting on front or rear curtain is more for artistic effect than for flash exposure (see JA's good result above).

I'd also suggest to read a book (or two) about flash, Joe McNally and Kirk Tuck come to mind. McNally stresses that when the camera is in matrix metering mode, there isn't much to say on how the flash compensation will react. I find that to be true (but it's not all over the place), so you'd have to shoot and adjust, even when the camera itself is in manual exposure mode.

The motto is: keep trying
Hans Cremers

HCS

• NG Supporter
  • The Netherlands
« Reply #14 on: July 09, 2015, 15:48:10 »
Jørgen: detaching your flash is not always practical. When I use two hands for the camera I rapidly run out of hands
to hold a flash. So the classic style with a cable, flash on a rail is not that dumb at all.

Perhaps a good suggestion is to try the elephant technique. I've seen it demonstrated by McNally, but is probably an old trick.

You hold the camera with one hand (presumably your right hand) and "curl" your other arm underneath your camera, holding the flash away from your camera, while still supporting your camera with it.

Of course, flash on a rail or bracket is not a dumb idea at all, much more comfortable but also more expensive.
Hans Cremers