Author Topic: Star Mill Thru Time  (Read 1476 times)

Lowell

• NG Member
  • Fascinated by photography
    • lowell harris photography
Star Mill Thru Time
« on: September 13, 2017, 21:15:15 »
The Star Mill was an active flour mill from the late 1890's until 1979.  For several years, it was owned by a fellow who called it an Antique store, although even he admitted that it was really a "junk" shop.  Before June 2014 it was one of my favorite places to photograph, since the owner was an avid junk collector.  During the winter time he was somewhere almost every day finding new treasures and putting them on and around the front porch.  That meant that there were endless photo opportunities!  He lost the place in 2014.  These three photos show the mill as 1) a junk store,  2) after all the contents of the store were emptied and the new owner started the process of cleaning and saving the building, and 3) what it looks like today.  The owner runs several businesses out of his building.  He did attempt to keep most of the mill inside as well as adding an office wing done in true wood siding. 

The building faces, east and I love to photograph it just as the sun illuminates the front of the building.

Lowell
Lowell Harris

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Star Mill Thru Time
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 05:19:43 »
Good documentation, and a 'nice save' for the building owner.
Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 05:30:31 »
Wow. Great restoration job and superb documentation of it!

I especially like the idea to use the bunker as a "light house" by cutting windows in it.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Lowell

• NG Member
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 06:07:51 »
Thanks Keith and Frank.  It is owned by GreerCo.  They were serious about preservation of the original mill.

Frank,  The concrete silo, which now has windows in it is actually used for an beautiful spiral staircase.  You can read about it and see some interior photos on web site put up by the architect here:  https://www.cmautah.com/star-mill/ 

I miss the place.  It was a dump but had great character with many photo opportunities.  The owner of the "antique" shop literally covered the mills and equipment with his collected junk which had the effect of protecting and preserving the machinery.  It remained intact for all these years.  I am going through my photos to illustrate the uncovering of the mill.

Thanks
Lowell Harris

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2017, 06:50:50 »
I though it could be a stair case (like in an old castle! Wow!), but such a feat can also be used as a cosy sitting place in an oriel.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2017, 09:23:48 »
Very solid documentation work!
Erik Lund

Lowell

• NG Member
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2017, 17:18:25 »
Thanks Erik,  I have always enjoyed photographing the mill.

Lowell
Lowell Harris