Author Topic: Updated D850 specs  (Read 19139 times)

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
Re: Updated D850 specs
« Reply #45 on: August 14, 2017, 22:13:24 »
In Switzerland, we had the first pre-order announcement by Hawk.ch, official Nikon Switzerland retailer, for CHF3'499,- (€3'050).

They changed their price to CHF3'999 ... not very serious. Just to click bait..,
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #46 on: August 14, 2017, 22:23:27 »
I haven't followed that discussion.  Nikon is not good at even controlling the timing.  This exceptional announcement of the "development" of D850 rather proves that.  I don't think they themselves would know when they can release the real thing.  :D

Well, Nikon is good at making photo gear, which doesn't necessarily make them good at marketing, or software, etc.
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #47 on: August 14, 2017, 22:43:25 »
Well, Nikon is good at making photo gear, which doesn't necessarily make them good at marketing, or software, etc.

Well, that's the main reason for Nikon to suffer from financial problem which also caused the apparent closure of the otherwise very potential Nikon 1 lineup.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #48 on: August 14, 2017, 22:49:12 »
Well, that's the main reason for Nikon to suffer from financial problem which also caused the apparent closure of the otherwise very potential Nikon 1 lineup.

I wasn't disagreeing with you, and one would think that it should be obvious to Nikon that they need help in areas where they lack expertise.
Carl

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2017, 23:04:56 »
I don't think we are disagreeing each other.  By the way, our correspondences seem to be off-topic.  Let's get the thread back to the original topic.  :)
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #50 on: August 15, 2017, 09:21:43 »
Interesting that the Swiss retailers have come up with a retail price.

Our Australian retailers are taking $A1,000 deposits (~$US790 just now) as a deposit on the D850 for when it is eventually released, but have not  as yet declared a retail price.

In Switzerland, we had the first pre-order announcement by Hawk.ch, official Nikon Switzerland retailer, for CHF3'499,- (€3'050).
Hugh Gunn

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #51 on: August 15, 2017, 09:29:23 »
Thanks guys for straightening me out - my "bad"!

It is frustrating that Nikon have announced the camera, but have not yet followed through with more details than they have shared so far.  Sure some minor details will change as they fine tune the offerings for the retail release, but surely the main features should be finalised by now and therefore less secret.

Correct, but after that one they'll change to a yearly event  :)

Photokina 2017 ??? To my best knowledge.the next one is on 26-29 September 2018 ....
Hugh Gunn

chambeshi

« Reply #52 on: August 15, 2017, 09:53:00 »
Well the flurry of pricing by authorised retailers, and taking orders to be fulfilled is encouraging. The latest batch of leaked images show us a DSLR that is close in layout to the D500. A BIG positive for those of us already bonded with the D500 :-)

The ability to scale RAW files will be a most useful function: from Large (8256 x 5504, 45.4MP) through Medium (6192 x 4128, 26.6MP) to Small (4128 x 2752, 11.4MP). One can only speculate at this stage as to whether the Frame-rate will scale from 9 fps (rumoured) to faster rates!

All in all, the potential to be the most versatile DSLR to date

JohnBrew

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #53 on: August 15, 2017, 16:26:43 »
Any release date yet? I would like to take one to my friend in Italy and save him the VAT (and, of course, we would BOTH be able to play with it while I'm there ;D).

I leave Sept. 19.

richardHaw

• Cute Panda from the East...
  • NG Supporter
  • Your lens loverboy
    • Classic Nikkor Maintenance and DIY

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #55 on: August 16, 2017, 06:04:10 »
That was discussed here in the Nikon 100th anniversary thread, with many people saying that they think Nikon should not coordinate product release notices with such events, but issue those release notices as soon as possible. Of course, not everyone agrees.

A photograph of the camera (prototype, artist rendering, something for visual learners) would have been nice.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

arthurking83

• NG Member
  • Good to be back on NikonGear
« Reply #56 on: August 17, 2017, 09:16:23 »
I think the old file naming standard is still there in a way. I've wondered if when I add a prefix to the original name if that matters anymore. I just live with the repeating filenames as the dates separate the duplicates and triplicates. I just don't like it. For example this... D800_DSC1272.NEF ...is the third file with this name on my computer. I've thought of adding a couple of digits to the name with a file naming batch program but never done it.

Dave

I learned the hard way long time ago .. just change the DSC part of the file name to something that makes it hard to produce identical file names.
On my cameras where I can do renaming, as i approach that magic 9999 mark, I change the DSC to DSD, and then DSD to DSE letting the camer ado the auto incremental numbering afterwards.
But it's also important to distinguish file names form one camera to another too.
This is where I learned my lesson once when I was reorganising some files in some folders and accidentally overwritten old D70 DSC_xxxx files with newer D300 DSC_xxxx files .. and of course idiot me ignored the prompt that they were about to be overwritten!

No more. I use simple old Nikon Transfer to download images files from camera and as other software does, I add a camera model prefix(ie. D800E_DSC_xxxx) name to all files.
Arthur

bobfriedman

• NG Supporter
  • Massachusetts, USA
« Reply #57 on: August 17, 2017, 12:33:57 »
personally i would prefer a time/date stamp in addition to the file number.. would make my life easier. e.g. just date 20170817_XXXXX.nef
Robert L Friedman, Massachusetts, USA
www.pbase.com/bobfriedman

RoyC

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #58 on: August 17, 2017, 15:05:01 »

No more. I use simple old Nikon Transfer to download images files from camera and as other software does, I add a camera model prefix(ie. D800E_DSC_xxxx) name to all files.

Same here using Nikon Transfer to move files to computer. Under Primary Destination, check the box "Rename files during transfer" click on the edit box and you can add many things to each file. I have mine set up to add an eight digit sequential counter. It does not reset with each transfer and so everything you setup stays. You can also add a ton of description to each file if you so desire. And all happens during the download which you have to do already.

Hugh_3170

• NG Supporter
  • Back in Melbourne!
« Reply #59 on: August 17, 2017, 15:16:48 »
On Topic:  I still await the actual specifications for the D850 with great interest.

Off  Topic:  People who have specific renaming requirements, might like to explore this renaming utility which I have used for some time now: www.bulkrenameutility.co.uk

The utility requires a little getting used to, and maybe best suits older users (i.e. old geezers such as myself) who are used to line command driven software.  In some instances, a two phase approach to achieving the final naming configuration is required.
Hugh Gunn