Gear Talk > Camera Talk

A couple of questions showing my ignorance

(1/7) > >>

tommiejeep:
 :(
I've been watching the newly announced Sony sensors on the a7RII and RX100 IV.  No, I will not be buying an a7RII  ;) but just a couple of question given Nikon's use of Sony Sensors.

1. What would be the chances of Nikon finally coming out with a full frame mirrorless using this type of sensor ?  Interesting write up about the AF of the new sensors on Dpr.
2. Does the new breed of Nikkor 'E' lenses make it any easier to design a mirrorless body using the F-mount 'E' lenses ?

I buy and use cameras for what they will let me do but really do not pay much attention to the engineering .

I do answer to Stupid when it fits  :)
Cheers,
Tom

Bjørn Rørslett:
Nikon  do not necessarily use Sony sensors and even when they do, the designs are modified to specification. Thus, it is all right to ask, but your question(s) are well-nigh impossible to answer with any authority.

On the "E" lens technology, it eliminates a mechanical interface and thus is cheaper and easier to implement *if* you don't need to pay any attention to backwards compatibility. Nikon are unlikely to forego such compatibility with their top cameras as this has been a hallmark for decades, but for any entirely different camera concept, maybe they are.

However, any change to the current register distance of 46.50 mm will necessitate new optical designs.

Finally, DPreview is hardly the place for the most reliable information.

Frank Fremerey:
I feel that this site has some valuable information on sensors: http://sensorgen.info/

I think the best thing about a mirrorless design is the reduced flange back distance (=register distance). The Sony Alpha7-Series has 18mm compared to 46,5mm in the Nikon F-designs.

This allows for smaller powerful lens designs or the use of Leica "M"-optics.

tommiejeep:

--- Quote from: Bjørn Rørslett on July 03, 2015, 08:35:51 ---Nikon  do not necessarily use Sony sensors and even when they do, the designs are modified to specification. Thus, it is all right to ask, but your question(s) are well-nigh impossible to answer with any authority.
--- End quote ---

I've always preferred the images coming out of the D700, D3S and Df to the rest of my Nikons although I still very much like the images coming from the D200 at ISO 100.

[/quote] On the "E" lens technology, it eliminates a mechanical interface and thus is cheaper and easier to implement *if* you don't need to pay any attention to backwards compatibility. Nikon are unlikely to forego such compatibility with their top cameras as this has been a hallmark for decades, but for any entirely different camera concept, maybe they are.[/quote]

[/quote] However, any change to the current register distance of 46.50 mm will necessitate new optical designs. [/quote]

That I do understand but if a TC1.4 gives excellent results , meters correctly and AFs in all modes, why not an FT-Fx that can do the same?

[/quote]Finally, DPreview is hardly the place for the most reliable information. [/quote]

Agree  :)

I am old and really enjoy my gear but my 14 year-old , who has been shooting all of my gear since he was 9(and cameras since he was 5), has no interest in the Nikons any more.  He is a pretty good Photographer, better than I am, and he has great results from his smartphone, GoPro and EM5.   At the moment there is nothing from Nikon that gets him enthusiastic.   He can take the his D300/D7100 out with his afs 80-400vr and get very good wildlife images and he will still shoot the 500vr with the D300s when I can get him to come out.   He is the future of photography sales not me.

I think Nikon really needs to come out of the Box .    Quite a few of us were excited when the D750 Ads first appeared  ;) , I very much enjoy shooting it but it did not live up to the Ads  >:( .
Keep producing cameras for the F-mount ( a Df2 springs to mind  :) ) but the Nikon 1 just did not keep pace.  Imaging and multi-media is changing just too fast for Nikon at the moment.
whoops, sorry I messed up the quotes
Tom

tommiejeep:
Frank, many thanks for that link, which I had never seen, bookmarked  :)

You are right on the flange.  I was just checking out some images taken with a NOVOFLEX adapter using the 55 1.2 Ais and the a7r.  The new Nikon 300vr is pretty darn small and light when I compare to my Olympus 40-150 2.8  :)
Tom

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version