Author Topic: Nikon Df  (Read 9974 times)

Mike G

Re: Nikon Df
« Reply #15 on: June 28, 2015, 15:41:06 »
Bjorn, I never said that Nordic Df users  prevail, that is your interpretation not mine. JUST that it seems popular with you Nordic people, take a look at your own triple selfie!

Don't read any more into my casual observation.

Bjørn Rørslett

• Fierce Bear of the North
  • Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2015, 15:56:00 »
Sorry Mike .... just a side line comment.

As elsewhere, some of us up here in the North like that camera. In the triple selfie, there are two Df's, one is mine and the other belongs to Jakov. While he is a laid-back über-cool kind of guy, he definitively isn't Nordic !

I spoke about the actual Df sales with one of my Nikon Nordic contacts and he claimed the camera had sold 'reasonably well and above expectations', but wouldn't go into actual sales figure.

However, just like with the Nikon D2H in its day, there are very few Df cameras on the second-hand market. That might indicate the buyers do keep their cameras over time. Second-hand D3S cameras have also seen a shortage probably for the same reason.

Mike G

« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2015, 16:03:34 »
Thank you Bjorn, there must be a reason the Df is popular, if I hadn't gone down the D810 route I might well have bought one myself and then I could have joined my Nordic cousins! Funnily I have just rewatched the film "The Vikings" purely coincidental.  ;D

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2015, 16:31:31 »
The Df split the photoghraphic community into two camps. Either it is suitable for you and then you like it - a lot - or it isn't for you and then people complain vhehemently about what the Df is not and what features that are left out. Such as video, for example. They are less concerned about what the Df is or the photographic approach it manifests, though. Each to their own.

Again it bears to be repeated that Nikon never thought the Df to be a replacement for any of their camera models. It is an augmentation to the Nikon range of DSLRs.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2015, 06:45:00 »
Do i think the viewfinder leaks on the mirror

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2015, 06:47:31 »
Almost any SLR/DSLR can show some light leak through the finder if pushed hard enough. The universal solution is either to close the ocular shutter if it exists, or hold your hand close to the eye piece during the exposure.

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2015, 07:57:23 »
With the backlit situation in this image, it is more likely flare reflected in the mirror box. Basically the same issue as the one that caused so much stir for the D750, but can be found on many other bodies too under the "right" conditions.
Øivind Tøien

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2015, 09:38:07 »
long exposure with ir720 filter on

banding iso 6400 with ir720 filter

Bjørn Rørslett

• Administrator
  • Oslo, Norway
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2015, 10:23:20 »
Using a Df for IR (sic) can safely be categorised as "pushing hard to get outside the box" !!

Fons: have you tried to cover the entire camera with some black cloth - something a la the focusing cover we used for the view cameras in the ancient time of film?

Øivind: the light contamination is 'focused' so my guess it is entering from behind, through the ocular. Light bouncing around inside the mirror box should rather give a hot spot of a Gaussian nature.

Swathing the camera in black should provide the answer. Just test that the fabric blocks IR first .... 

Øivind Tøien

• NG Supporter
  • Fairbanks, Alaska
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 11:48:51 »
This is the issue I was talking about, seems somewhat similar.
http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikon-d750/9

The viewfinder seems a lot more likely light entry point for the IR issue, however.  ;D
Øivind Tøien

stenrasmussen

« Reply #25 on: June 30, 2015, 14:58:02 »
Birna...my heart obviously belong to Nikon. I am back!

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #26 on: June 30, 2015, 15:21:05 »
Welcome back  ;) Enjoy! Looking forward to see some shots!
Erik Lund

stenrasmussen

« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2015, 08:29:39 »
Here it is...makes me feel like home again!

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2015, 08:45:42 »
A settled mind is a good thing to have, nice to see you and Df  :)
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Erik Lund

• Global Moderator
  • Copenhagen
    • ErikLund.com
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2015, 12:40:57 »
Congrats!  8)
Erik Lund