Author Topic: Premium Compact  (Read 7539 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Premium Compact
« Reply #15 on: June 30, 2015, 21:10:18 »
Gary. I do not know whether I am picky as you put it. What you say is so true: the X100 looks way cool and it IS a liberating photo experience.

But: I feel so at home with the D3 with a 50mm I could survive many assignments with only her old majesty.

Liberating in the sense that it does not put the barrier between me an people.

I shoot very spontaneous with the X100. Very large very fast card. Very fast AF too.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Gary

• NG Member
  • Southern California
    • Snaps
« Reply #16 on: June 30, 2015, 21:18:01 »
The fixed lens is liberating to me because I only think in terms of one focal length. I limit my focus to only one lens and I need to make that work. Sure, I could only take one prime lens with me on an ILC ... but I won't or I take a zoom.
"Everywhere you look there are photographs, it is the call of photographers to see and capture them."- Gary Ayala
My snaps are here: www.garyayala.com
Critiquing my snaps are always welcomed and appreciated.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #17 on: July 01, 2015, 04:28:27 »
Jetty, a couple of things other than a recommendation for which camera...
First,  I would contact your local GoPro dealer to see if you can get them interested in your project...  the new GoPro 4 is supposed to be great for being able to do Slow Motion playback.  Much faster recording rate.  My wife and I shot the opening of a new Water Park (three days of shooting) and the owners approached the local GoPro Dealer for help.  He showed up with 4 cameras and all of the support gear. Mounted 3 cameras on guys and shot one himself.  Good advertising for him and GoPro.

Second, I spent almost 4 years in Southeast Asia, not packpacking per se ;) .  South Vietnam, Laos, Cambodia and Thailand.  I used a Nikkormat with a 50 1.4mm the entire time (so I have the T-shirt ;) ) and if I had it to do over again with a single camera I would not have a fixed FL.  For my style of shooting I would miss just too many shots.  Shooting from boats, cars, buses etc there are less opportunities for positioning for the best image with a 35mm or 50mm.

I have no knowledge of using the Coolpix A.  It seems to have sold better now that has been discontinued ;) .  Here there are very few around and fetching $890 new and I am not sure if that is with warranty.  There is a guy on some of the forums that uses it in conjunction with the Df of 'Street'  He is very good and likes the camera.
Cheers,
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #18 on: July 01, 2015, 05:27:48 »
Tom. If zoom which range? The above mentioned canon s110 compact is 24-120mm in terms of 24x36 Film size. What I see today is that a 24MP sensor offers quite some leverge for cropping. Stabilzed this leverage should increase, meaning Sony a7, now cheap, should offer cropping capability while a7II should offer more. Both are equipped with the same chip that features in the Nikons D600 D610 and D750.

a very good choice in the current 24-120 range is the Nikkor f=4 VR wich has several predesessors if you are on a budget.

this is generally true for evolving series. The D7000 is still a great camera with the 7100 a significant upgrade in Autofocus, the 7200 only a gradual upgrade.

If we speak of Premium Compact be well aware that for the price you can get a DSLR or DSLM of one or two generations back with lens.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

tommiejeep

• NG Member
  • Look for the light
    • Nikonians
« Reply #19 on: July 01, 2015, 06:38:27 »
Hi Frank, the 24-120 range is fine.  Canon and Sony are pretty well supported throughout Asia as opposed to Nikon which is getting better.  The problems with having many lenses is making the final cut for walking and air travel.  If I were getting on a plane for Saigon tomorrow I would probably grab the Df, 24-85vr , 58 1.4G, Sigma 24 1.4 A, 85 1.4D(or 105 2.5Ai)  and the SB400.   I actually may be getting on a plane next week for Pondicherry and am thinking radical  ;) Df, 105 2.5 Ai, 28 f2 Ais, 58 1.4G, EM1(sans grip) 17-1.8 , 9-18, 60 2.8 Macro and 75 1.8.  That is quite a bit but all walking on level ground, no hills, mountains or rivers to cross and much will stay in Hotel safe  :)

I shoot people more than anything else when I travel.  Normally my wife shoots the Landscapes, Monuments , famous buildings etc   and my son shoots whatever his mind sees ;)

If I were travelling with my wife and son that would change.  In the past I have done most of my travelling with the D700 and 70-200 2.8 ,24-70 2.8, 85 1.4D and 60 2.8G.  Heavy.  Last trip was D700, 180 2.8D, 16-35vr, 60 2.8G and 85 1.4D and still heavy.
One camera, one lens...Df, 24-120 f4 or possibly D750 but still love the files from the Df  :).
Tom
Tom Hardin, Goa, India

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2015, 07:38:29 »
I do not use many lenses.

24. 50. 85. And a macro.

I wish I had a small and light DX body with reliable focus to turn tge 24 into a 35.

but. My 24/1.4 is such a heap of heavy glass it does not make much sense. Also the Nikon DX bodies of the 7xxx kind are heavy too.

that is where the X100T comes in: small. APS. 35 equiv. Fast. Silent.