Author Topic: Nikon D850?  (Read 9185 times)

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: Nikon D850?
« Reply #15 on: July 05, 2017, 13:42:33 »
Thom Hogan has pointed out (http://www.dslrbodies.com/newsviews/the-d810-replacement-conjec.html) that most of the specifications are obvious: the AF and exposure systems from the D5/500, the touch screen and so on.  Being right about those things is not an achievement.  The only thing that is not obvious is the sensor, and Thom makes the point that a larger version of the D500 sensor is a good bet because of its relatively lower development cost. 

Another thing Ken Wheeler AKA Theoria Apophasis shares with Ken Rockwell is reverence for Nikolai Tesla (Ken Rockwell claims to be a descendant of Tesla).  In recent years Tesla has become a cult figure among conspiracy theorists, and Wheeler's ravings about the reality of the ether and the inadequacy of atomic theory and relativity go back to Tesla.  Of course, when Tesla rejected Einstein's conclusion that matter could be turned into energy the inhabitants of Hiroshima had not proved that it can by being vapourised, and when Tesla rejected Einstein's conclusion that mass affects time there was no GPS to prove that it does, but Wheeler does not have that excuse. 

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #16 on: July 05, 2017, 22:23:10 »
I buy this camera anyway....
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #17 on: July 06, 2017, 08:20:12 »
Les,

Don't blame Nikolai Tesla for Theoria Apophasis or Ken Rockwell. Anyone who compulsively estimates the number of cubic centimeteris in their dessert before they eat it is alright by me!

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

chambeshi

« Reply #18 on: July 06, 2017, 11:51:37 »
"Regarding the Nikon D820, an excellent advice to everyone: "Mais il vous faudra encore un tout petit peu de patience pour avoir plus de details!" (You must have a bit of patience for more details)

Read more: https://nikonrumors.com/2017/07/05/nikon-is-working-on-a-small-camera-to-compete-with-smartphones-talks-about-surprise-for-their-100th-anniversary.aspx/#ixzz4m2lkRgMs

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #19 on: July 06, 2017, 12:01:12 »
To compete with Apple's iPhones Nikon must put a cell phone in their upcoming Nikon D850! Just think! 16 fps uploads to Instagram!

Les Olson

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: July 06, 2017, 13:31:49 »
Tesla is certainly not to blame for what people have done with his memory - although he helped them do it by being one of the long line of important scientists who embarrass themselves in later life.   

Tesla worship is a marker for adherence to a range of conspiracy theories - eg, that he discovered a way to draw free electricity directly from the atmosphere, but the discovery was suppressed by the government and the energy industry.  Tesla worship can also be a dog-whistle for anti-Semitism, and that starts from Tesla's rejection of Einstein's theories, and that gets a lot of attention from Ken Wheeler/Theoria Apophasis.

The point is that willingness to believe in conspiracies is a stable personality trait that does not correlate with reliable commentary on new photographic equipment.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #21 on: July 06, 2017, 17:02:24 »
I'd like one of Tesla's cars.  :) ;) :D

All I know of Tesla comes from The History Channel and probably wasn't a full program about him. I don't watch Theoria Apophasis' often as his ranting gives me the creeps.

Ken Rockwell's site can be a good place to get introduced to a lens or get ideas but never make a buying decision based on his reviews. There can be a bit of chaff mixed in with the wheat.

Dave

Wannabebetter

• NG Member
  • Grateful For The Instruction Provided Me
« Reply #22 on: July 09, 2017, 11:02:36 »
Ken Wheeler is like a crazy cousin; the one you only see at weddings and funerals and despite the reverence of the occasion you have to fight the compulsion to knock his head against a brick wall. Yet if anyone else tried to hurt him you'd inexplicably do whatever you must to prevent that. Go figure? Nikolai was just bat-shit-crazy like so many geniuses who out-lived their own potential, unable or unwilling to accept it later in life that they didn't have all the answers and that some of their detractors actually were correct, perhaps even more often then not. Someone told that other Ken, when he was just a wee lad, "how gifted and handsome you are" and he took it to heart.  No, seriously! Real Dale Carnegie stuff! Besides, his mother wouldn't lie... (Something else, too, about "growing family" and Long Island tomatoes. Or was it potatoes, in Muttontown? Anyway, God bless mom, her boy Ken and all the rest. )

I'm somewhat in owe of these three, to varying degrees. See I never did learn that parlor trick: the one where you blow smoke up your own ass. Oh, the places I might have gone but for that.

Fons Baerken

• NG Supporter
    • https://www.flickr.com/photos/fonsbaerken/
« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2017, 07:13:58 »
Ken what's in a name?

The other mr. K. ;) has a few words to say

I clarified which cameras work with it or not. It's compatible with a different set of cameras than any of the other AF-P lenses. Arrgh!

Do you think I like spending my afternoons trying to explain all this for Nikon? No! I'd much rather Nikon's stuff just worked, or that everyone just shot Canon and saved us all the hassle. I don't like that I have to explain that Nikon lenses only work on random cameras, even if Nikon is selling them new today. It doesn't matter that most of us have been shooting Nikon since the 1970s when they were the leader; that was 40 years ago and things change.

Canon's EOS cameras and EF lenses have all been 100% compatible with each other ever since they were announced in 1987. The newest Canon LCD-display lenses work great with my ancient 1980s EOS 35mm Canon SLRs, and my oldest 1980s EOS lenses all work great on my newest 5DSR.

Nikon's slowly killing themselves by having so many lenses and cameras which are all sold new today that won't work with each other. Nikon is crippled by having four incompatible AF systems (screw-AF, AF-I, AF-S and AF-P) and three incompatible aperture systems (F, AI, G, and E). Nikon today still sells new screw-AF, AF-S and AF-P lenses with AI, G, and E diaphragms.

Canon on the other hand designed their EF mount from scratch for 1987 with electronic focus and electronic diaphragm control from the very beginning, while Nikon has only recently introduced some lenses with electronic diaphragms.

Nikon's VR system doesn't work with many of their cameras from before the 1990s, while Canon's IS system works with every camera they've made since 1987, film and digital.

What this means is that Canon has had everything working together perfectly from the start, while Nikon is crippled with almost 60 years of trying to use the same ancient F mount which came out in 1959 and adapting it to do "just one more thing" as time went on. While Nikon looked smart in the 1980s adapting their 1959 mount to do autofocus, Canon ticked off their existing customers when they trashed their old FD mount and started from scratch with the new and then-incompatible EOS EF mount in 1987. Today 30 years later Canon look like geniuses since everything works, while Nikon can't even explain clearly which cameras work with this new AF-P lens and I have to instead!

Today I'd buy a Sony or Canon long before putting much money into new Nikon. The Sony A9 is AWESOME and way ahead of everyone else for action. It shows us what everyone else will be trying to do in 5 years: silent 20 FPS full AF shooting. It's a totally new camera you have to get to believe.

Sony has a huge advantage in mirrorless because Sony has been making and innovating electronic image sensors at least since the 1960s when electronic image sensors were TV camera vacuum tubes. They've been a world leader in CCDs at least since the 1980s. They invent half of what's new in CCD and CMOS sensors, and when they want to do something truly amazing, like design a radically new sensor from scratch for the A9, they do it like no one else on Earth can.

Nikon's stuck in a rut as they've always gotten their sensors from Sony. Is it just me who finds it odd that Nikon has introduced no cameras with new state-of-the-art sensors in them ever since about 2013 when Sony introduced its first full-frame camera, the A7? Nikon had 36MP in the D800 back in 2012 and has never done anything better. I think Sony cut Nikon off from it's cream-of-the-crop, reserving the good stuff for itself. Canon makes their own sensors, which is why they keep innovating with the 5DSR, for instance at 50 MP

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2017, 15:41:54 »
KR really knows how to mix 90% fact and 10% fiction, it seems his standard recipe to generate maximum controversy.

Nikon have used other manufacturers to make their sensors in addition to Sony. While Canon initially had an advantage with their full frame sensors out several years earlier than Nikon, for many years Canon have been behind just about everyone else in base ISO dynamic range and users have had to use elaborate workarounds for high contrast landscape scenes, for example. Nikon have been able to be very competitive without fabricating their own sensors.  Currently the sensors in Nikon DSLRs are excellent with one caveat: there is no support for phase-detect AF in the main image sensor. Without doubt this situation will be retified - after all Nikon was the first to introduce such technology to the market (even though it was in the smaller Nikon 1 system). Image quality wise over the long run Nikon have been in an excellent position however they have had their sensors made.

To my knowledge, AF-I and AF-S are not incompatible with each other, just a different motor implementation.

However, I agree that the compatibility is getting messy now with AF-P lenses. I guess they had difficulty making the normal AF-I/AF-S control protocol to work with stepper motors.

Ron Scubadiver

• NG Member
  • Renegade Street Photographer
« Reply #25 on: July 14, 2017, 15:56:05 »
I want one.  My D800 is looking beat.  There is no local Nikon service so I need a backup camera.  When I get the 850 (or whatever it is called) I can send my D800 in to Nikon to clean up and that will be my backup.

The other day I ran into a guy shooting with a Sony mirrorless.  He had a 70-200 f/2.8 on it and said he switched to Sony because it weighed less.  The guy was in his 30's and looked very fit and strong.  He is worried about weight?

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2017, 16:43:10 »
I want one.  My D800 is looking beat.  There is no local Nikon service so I need a backup camera.  When I get the 850 (or whatever it is called) I can send my D800 in to Nikon to clean up and that will be my backup.

The other day I ran into a guy shooting with a Sony mirrorless.  He had a 70-200 f/2.8 on it and said he switched to Sony because it weighed less.  The guy was in his 30's and looked very fit and strong.  He is worried about weight?

I lose weight by the waist, put up weight in muscle mass, so I can put on some more on the equipment side, can't I?

Sony? Not for me. The ergonomically best camera to datre is my beloved D500. Same same with FX-Recorder and I am in business!
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #27 on: July 14, 2017, 19:56:09 »

...if he had to lift a Nikon F2 with an MD-1 or 2 he'd probably rollover dead. Muscle mass for strength and muscles for endurance are different. I remember a guy who worked out as clearly seen by larger than average muscle mass complaining about sore muscles while sweeping a 1/2 Olympic pool. It's a slow, rhythmic job requiring little strength and a lot of endurance.

Dave

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
« Reply #29 on: July 24, 2017, 16:35:48 »
Here is a report of the Nikon 100th anniversary event by Impress-Digital-Camera-Watch:

http://dc.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1072183.html

According to the report, Mr. Nobuyoshi Gokyu, Senior Vice President and General Manager of Imaging Business Unit, said during his speech that they will release a second new model for 2017 which would satisfy "the pro and the hi-amateur" segment.

The word "hi-amateur" should be a Japnese-English word that could be interpreted as "enthusiast".  So, it should be sage to assume that tne second new model released after D7500 for 2017 is D850.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira