Author Topic: Is this a serious offer????  (Read 21096 times)

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
Re: Is this a serious offer????
« Reply #45 on: July 09, 2017, 20:39:13 »
"Grey market" is a obviously a marketing term to separate two markets. One higher price market for the people intimidated by fake news the other, cheaper, for the people wilder at heart.

If you care to follow the "What the nerds do" section of this forum people here in general tend to not be on the totally lost cowardish side, so we generally pay less, meaning Nikon gets their treat but the channel gets less.

I subscribe to this wealth distribution scheme
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #46 on: July 09, 2017, 22:41:54 »
2.  There have been anecdotal reports going back 10 years that purchasers in countries other than the USA have purchased Nikon products that carry the 'US'
That's right. I have had lenses reported to me with US prefix on the serial number that were bought new in Europe. I also know of lenses bought new in USA with US guarantee that don't have the US prefix, even though the same lens has a series with the US prefix. Note: the US prefix is on the lens only, it is not on the box or guarantee sheet. Also note that not all lenses have a separate series for US, most do, but some have one series world-wide. Nikon is somewhat inconsistent on this, even within the fairly modern and well defined f/1.8 series of prime lenses.

So, the absence or presence of the US prefix on a lens is a useful guide not a guarantee either way, the only way to be sure is to have the guarantee sheet.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #47 on: July 09, 2017, 23:01:29 »
"Grey market" is a obviously a marketing term to separate two markets. One higher price market for the people intimidated by fake news the other, cheaper, for the people wilder at heart.

If you care to follow the "What the nerds do" section of this forum people here in general tend to not be on the totally lost cowardish side, so we generally pay less, meaning Nikon gets their treat but the channel gets less.

I subscribe to this wealth distribution scheme

So, according to you, if people in the US don't favor grey market gear  because of price,  thus foregoing any warranty, or service, EVER,  via Nikon USA, then they are cowards? Frank, you, completely fail to see that everyone in every country is not subject to the same situation that you and some others enjoy. With all due respect to those that follow the "What The Nerds Do" section, I can tell you that they don't pay for my photo gear. There an old American Indian saying that fits very well here "Don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes".

It's best if I drop out of this thread.
Carl

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #48 on: July 09, 2017, 23:05:40 »

It's not fake news, it's a reality here in the U.S. and has been for a long time. I'm not concerned over grey-market status for old lenses and film cameras which can be repaired by third party repair shops using parts from deceased units.  However, for recent and expensive digital bodies in particular, the problem of losing access to post-warranty repairs is a serious matter.  I have been willing to take chances on refurbished and even used items, with generally good luck so far, but not grey-market digital bodies.  It's a matter of risk management rather than mere risk aversion.

It may be fun to be wild, until the consequences bring one back down to harsh reality. 

pluton

• NG Supporter
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #49 on: July 09, 2017, 23:28:15 »
Just to be extra clear:   'Gray market' is not "Out of region".  Gray market refers only to whether or not the original purchase was made in the Nikon-designated regional market to which the item was originally assigned by Nikon HQ.

Keith B., Santa Monica, CA, USA

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2017, 23:49:01 »
So, according to you, if people in the US don't favor grey market gear  because of price,  thus foregoing any warranty, or service, EVER,  via Nikon USA, then they are cowards? Frank, you, completely fail to see that everyone in every country is not subject to the same situation that you and some others enjoy. With all due respect to those that follow the "What The Nerds Do" section, I can tell you that they don't pay for my photo gear. There an old American Indian saying that fits very well here "Don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes".

It's best if I drop out of this thread.

I apologize. I did not want to annoy anyone. I sometimes buy at the local brick and mortar because I have a genuine interest that he survives as part of my infrastructure.

My rant was meant from my position as a marketing advisor to companies. Sometimes you need to sell the same product to different groups of people.

What you do is repackage or if you do not want to go so far you create different channels with different  a narrative and different asking prices.

If you sell warrenties as an insurance customers can have a similar security as they would have with maker warrenties or you can buy without insurance and close a deal with a private insurance, whatever seems appropriate for your case.

I do in fact not see any point in paying more for the same package. My D500 was one of the first in Germany. I paid an extra premium to have the camera early.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #51 on: July 10, 2017, 00:13:52 »
I apologize. I did not want to annoy anyone. I sometimes buy at the local brick and mortar because I have a genuine interest that he survives as part of my infrastructure.

My rant was meant from my position as a marketing advisor to companies. Sometimes you need to sell the same product to different groups of people.

What you do is repackage or if you do not want to go so far you create different channels with different  a narrative and different asking prices.

If you sell warrenties as an insurance customers can have a similar security as they would have with maker warrenties or you can buy without insurance and close a deal with a private insurance, whatever seems appropriate for your case.

I do in fact not see any point in paying more for the same package. My D500 was one of the first in Germany. I paid an extra premium to have the camera early.

Apology accepted, Frank. I too like having a brick and mortar pro shop close at hand, and i know how hard it is to pay the premium for doing business with them instead of shopping online when looking at  expensive equipment.
Carl

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #52 on: July 10, 2017, 00:49:02 »
There an old American Indian saying that fits very well here "Don't judge a man until you have walked a mile in his shoes".

I think it was "Moccasins."  :)

I've hand one defective Nikkor lens in the last year. If I'd bought gray I have had to send the lens to Japan.

If the lens were an AIS Nikkor and it was defective on receipt I'd buy it where I can return it. If it were to fail down the road I'd be able to find repair or repair it myself.

Nikon USA is pretty nasty about this gray market thing. With a high tech lens there are things that can go wrong. I have a D800 and three lenses that probably should go in for calibration but I'd be without my primary camera without an acceptable backup. My backup is too old. If I bought gray I'd have to send them to Japan. For a time I considered buying from Nikon Canada but I'm not sure they are much better than Nikon USA. That's how pissed I was at Nikon USA. I don't like dealing with Nikon USA. If I hadn't started with Nikon in 1970 and restarted after a two~three year absence (planed) in 1978 I'd probably be using Canon. I like my Nikon equipment I don't like Nikon USA.

Anyway Carl has explained this USA/Gray thing to quite to my satisfaction.

Dave Hartman
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #53 on: July 10, 2017, 01:04:24 »
... I sometimes buy at the local brick and mortar because I have a genuine interest that he survives as part of my infrastructure. ...

The three brick and mortar stores I bought from have all closed.

The first: Gayson's Camera, Glendale CA gave me an open account in 1970 or 71. They were moved five times for the Glendale Gonorrhoea Shopping Mauls I, II, III, IV and failed in about 1987. A few misspellings were intentional.

The second was: Lee-Mac Camera Exchange, Pasadena CA. They gave me my second open account in 1977. Held out until about 2004. I still had an open account there and drove 65 miles to get personalized service.

In 1990 I moved and started buying from Redlands Camera, Redlands, CA. I guess they failed about the time eBay got popular. They needed trade-ins and the sales of used equipment.

I was known on a first name basis to the managers, sales managers and made friends with salesmen. The local that I can touch some new Nikon cameras and lenses is Best Buy or as some call it Worst Buy. I buy from New York now. It's too much for me to drive all the way to Hollywood, CA to walk into a brick and mortar.

Dave Hartman

Actually "Brick and Mortar" doesn't pass code anymore here as the ground near the San San Andreas tends to Rock n' Roll. In Glendale, CA I remember a brick building where I could look right into someone's bedroom on the second or third floor as the face of the building fell to the side walk in the Whittier earthquake. The floor was in tacked. The furniture more or less where it should be. The outer walls on the corner were gone.

CS

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #54 on: July 10, 2017, 01:13:06 »
Sign of the times in March of 2009

Carl

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #55 on: July 10, 2017, 01:16:41 »
It's later than you think!

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2017, 02:55:34 »
I have been willing to take chances on refurbished and even used items, with generally good luck so far, but not grey-market digital bodies. 

Except for the "open box" camera that turned out to be grey market, so I returned it.  If you're in the U.S., check your serial numbers!  Roland's site is very helpful for this.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
« Reply #57 on: July 10, 2017, 03:40:41 »
Except for the "open box" camera that turned out to be grey market, so I returned it.  If you're in the U.S., check your serial numbers!  Roland's site is very helpful for this.

Yes in deed! Check those serial numbers. Thank you Rolland!

Roland Vink

• NG Supporter
  • Nikon Nerd from New Zealand
    • Nikon Database
« Reply #58 on: July 10, 2017, 05:19:21 »
As I mentioned in my earlier post above, the only sure way to know if a lens is supported by Nikon USA is to have the guarantee sheet. The serial number (US prefix or not) is not a fool-proof indicator.

Bill De Jager

• NG Supporter
« Reply #59 on: July 10, 2017, 05:48:16 »
As I mentioned in my earlier post above, the only sure way to know if a lens is supported by Nikon USA is to have the guarantee sheet. The serial number (US prefix or not) is not a fool-proof indicator.

Thanks for mentioning that.  I was thinking about camera bodies and completely forgot about lenses!