Author Topic: Lexar ist gone, Lexar is dead!  (Read 5090 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: Lexar ist gone, Lexar is dead!
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2017, 23:10:10 »
I thought Micron is leaving the card and removeable storage business entirely (including SD, CF, Cfast, XQD, usb stick etc.)  I don't know what they're going to focus on as a more profitable business.

Yeah, the news I found was four quarter terms ago, so the business decision may well have been changed....
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

Mongo

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #16 on: June 28, 2017, 04:08:20 »
have never had good experience with Lexar. Would prefer Sony over Lexar if a XQD card were needed. Have found that the CF cards are fast approaching the XQD cards and are more affordable and more available anyway. Mongo's only regret is that one of the slots in his D4s is wasted as an XQD slot.

David H. Hartman

• NG Member
  • I Doctor Photographs... :)
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2017, 07:27:37 »
All of my memory cards have been SanDisk except the first two were Fujifilm. All of my card readers have been Lexar. I've bought several Lexar thumb drives.

I'm sorry to see Lexar hung out to dry. I like competition.

Dave
Beatniks are out to make it rich
Oh no, must be the season of the witch!

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2017, 09:34:28 »
CF cards are slightly cheaper but much slower (150MB/s vs. 400MB/s write speed) and as far as I understand, CF card speed has reached its limits and new faster standards are not being developed around that format.

Due to the fragile pin interface, I think this card type should be gradually phased out of new cameras. Hopefully the D820 will use XQD.

MFloyd

• NG Member
  • My quest for the "perfect" speed blur
    • Adobe Portfolio
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2017, 10:59:25 »
....  Mongo's only regret is that one of the slots in his D4s is wasted as an XQD slot.

Why "wasted" ? From a technical point (speed, solidity) the XQD card is difficult to beat. And cost came significantly down (at least with Lexar).
Γνῶθι σεαυτόν

Ilkka Nissilä

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2017, 15:58:19 »
Why "wasted" ? From a technical point (speed, solidity) the XQD card is difficult to beat. And cost came significantly down (at least with Lexar).

The price difference between Lexar and Sony seems to be around 10%.

Frank Fremerey

• engineering art
  • NG Supporter
  • Bonn, Germany
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2017, 00:49:10 »
have never had good experience with Lexar. Would prefer Sony over Lexar if a XQD card were needed. Have found that the CF cards are fast approaching the XQD cards and are more affordable and more available anyway. Mongo's only regret is that one of the slots in his D4s is wasted as an XQD slot.

I think one of my valuable slots in the D500 is wasted to SD.
You are out there. You and your camera. You can shoot or not shoot as you please. Discover the world, Your world. Show it to us. Or we might never see it.

Me: https://youpic.com/photographer/frankfremerey/