Author Topic: The new 10-20mm/f4.5-5.6 DX zoom on FX  (Read 2004 times)

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
The new 10-20mm/f4.5-5.6 DX zoom on FX
« on: July 01, 2017, 16:26:46 »
Today I went to the Nikon showroom in Ginza, Tokyo to play with the new AF-P DX Nikkor 10-20mm/4.5-5.6G VR on my trusty D750 with a certain intention.  Here is the result.  At 14mm and longer, the image circle covers the FX frame.  Of course, the image quality in the peripheral area is not acceptable, but it is usable for a certain effect.  Even at the shortest 10mm, the image circle appears to be larger than that of DX10.5 with the hood hacked off.  These images are shot with the focal length set at 10, 14 and 16mm respectively.  All images are focused on the red flower seen a little above right from the center.  The raw files are converted in CC2017 with the Standard picture profile.  The CA is not corrected.  The ACR hasn't have the dedicated profile for this zoom yet.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira

longzoom

• NG Member
  • You ARE NikonGear
Re: The new 10-20mm/f4.5-5.6 DX zoom on FX
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2017, 17:17:55 »
Your images are left me with very nice expression! Really usable ones if you know where to go! Especially for scene/hall decoration! Thank you, Akira, for sharing those with us!  LZ

Akira

• Homo jezoensis
  • NG Supporter
  • Tokyo, Japan
Re: The new 10-20mm/f4.5-5.6 DX zoom on FX
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2017, 01:51:17 »
LZ, glad the post works for you.

I thought the circular "usable" image area can be very handy and versatile.  You can get the maximum pixels from the DX lens cansting light onto a FX sensor with the camera kept in the horizontal orientation (for more stable holding).  You can enjoy the effect of the true multi-format sensor partially realized in Panasonic GH1/2 and a few high-end Lumix P&S cameras.
"The eye is blind if the mind is absent." - Confucius

"Limitation is inspiration." - Akira